Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: STEAM on Linux BETA

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: STEAM on Linux BETA

I noticed a speedup in downloading in Linux Steam vs. Windows Steam as well, and the games certainly install faster in Linux than in Windows, since all the dependencies are there already (heh). One or two Paradox games are enough for me (I have Europa Universalis 3 on my Windows Steam account, and I expect that once it's ported, it'll be a free download for me), but I want Elder Scrolls III, IV, and V to be ported, at which time I will permanently deep-six Windows forever.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    ....but I want Elder Scrolls III, IV, and V to be ported, at which time I will permanently deep-six Windows forever.
    I haven't heard any news about those being ported, and I think we can safely say that Morrowind is old enough that they won't bother, and Oblivion probably is too.

For what it's worth, using Playonlinux to install Skyrim through steam works extremely well. I was just playing last night. Last time I tried, oblivion and morrowind worked fine as well.
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I for one, am excited to see if steambox is successful or not. I am somewhat skeptical if games tailored specifically to a steambox specific distro (I assume, with the current focus on Ubuntu, that valve will loosely base on Ubuntu and heavily customize it into their own distro for steambox) will be playable on all Linux variants.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Dragon View Post
    I have to say I was completely surprised to hear about this a while back. Surprised and very giddy. I have been waiting for a big company/the like to recognize the community and try to build around for us, too. It will certainly bring more users, I'm sure.

Here is hoping the game developers decide to port over their games to Linux too. Skyrim and GTA would be amazing to have.

So far having Steam in Linux has allowed me to download my game a lot faster. On Windows it took me nearly an hour to download, but through Linux it has taken half that time. I am amazed.
    Huh? So your download speeds improved by downloading the game via Steam for Linux instead of Steam for Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Seeing an official port to Linux of The Elder Scroll games would be amazing. I haven't gotten Morrowind to work through POL yet, just refuses to right now because of some driver errors. I would like to be able to play all of them on my Linux Mint or Ubuntu, though.

Here's hoping that they see how well it is supported and will want to port the games—including the older versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeven View Post
    Huh? So your download speeds improved by downloading the game via Steam for Linux instead of Steam for Windows?
    Yes, it sure did. I even went back to Windows to download TF2 to see if I had my drivers for my graphics card was installed properly and it went a lot slower (downloading the game) than it did on Linux.

It is even nicer too because in Windows I get slowdowns in TF2 sometimes or with other games, but when I test them through Linux they work amazingly.

(Tried to vote for you on the GOG link you have in your sig, but it appears I have been banned from GOG. Never even heard of that place, too...)
    Last edited by Lightning Dragon; January 17th, 2013 at 02:32 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Dragon View Post
    Yes, it sure did. I even went back to Windows to download TF2 to see if I had my drivers for my graphics card was installed properly and it went a lot slower (downloading the game) than it did on Linux.

It is even nicer too because in Windows I get slowdowns in TF2 sometimes or with other games, but when I test them through Linux they work amazingly.

(Tried to vote for you on the GOG link you have in your sig, but it appears I have been banned from GOG. Never even heard of that place, too...)
    Man, I really wish I was studying computer science instead of business management. I have never heard of a difference in operating systems leading to faster download speeds. That just sounds bizarre.

So your games run better in Linux as well? That's a great sign. Linux being less resource intensive does seem to help a lot, although many games aren't as well optimized for the platform yet apparently.

No idea how that would even happen. Contact them and ask what's up? The more votes Linux gets, the less GOG can ignore the request!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have no idea why, either, but it runs better and downloads faster than in Windows for sure. If I had my GPU set up, I could try and record it for you, but I gotta set it up first.

I will certainly try contacting them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You might be redirected to a server that is less under load because, obviously, the amount of Linux Steam users is much smaller than Windows Steam users.
    Youtube gaming channel dedicated to game bugs, glitches and tricks

Beans

On a somewhat unrelated note, since gaming on Linux is becoming more viable, having the peripherals with sufficient support matters.

Beans

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast