So I would say that the console only install for ubuntu is awesome using the serial port, except for one issue.

When I do a console only install if I put encryption on the hard drive I have to have a vnc console to the box. I would like to be able to set the hard drive encryption password by serial console install in kvm.

Here is an example command I use to do a no graphics install of a kvm virtual machine.

virt-install --nographics -n Spoon -r 1024 --os-type=linux --os-variant=debianlenny --disk /opt/kvm/images/Spoon.qcow2,device=disk,bus=virtio,size=24,sparse= true,format=qcow2 -w bridge=br0,model=virtio --noautoconsole --location ftp://mirrors.xmission.com/debian/di...staller-amd64/ -x "console=ttyS0"

If I chose to encrypt the hardrive and have specified no graphics from virt-install I cannot enter the passphrase to decrypt the virutal machine.

I would really like this feature if at all possible. I don't know where else to post this because I think I am the only one in the world that does this.