Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade to 12.04: Hangs at boot stage

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Upgrade to 12.04: Hangs at boot stage

Hi!, cozski,

Did you run the Network enable option before dropping to a Root shell, as the 'Failed to fetch hhttp:' Warnings indicate that there was no internet connection.
    Failing that succeeding, failed upgrades are always difficult to repair, so:

If you cannot run Update Manager, or it does not give an option to update to 12.10, then as far as I can see, you have no viable alternative apart from a full install, either of 12.04 or 12.10.

It would be a good idea first to try running from LiveCD/USB.

As to copy/pasting without a mouse, the only way I know of is to use the Edit menu 'Select All' and 'Copy' in a terminal; activate the Edit Menu with: 'Alt+e', navigate with the Arrow keys and press 'Enter'. Then paste it to a gedit window and transfer it with a Usb flash stick.

But, of course that will not work from a TTY, as it has no menus.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Upgrade to 12.04: Hangs at boot stage

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, cozski,

Did you run the Network enable option before dropping to a Root shell, as the 'Failed to fetch hhttp:' Warnings indicate that there was no internet connection.
    Failing that succeeding, failed upgrades are always difficult to repair, so:

If you cannot run Update Manager, or it does not give an option to update to 12.10, then as far as I can see, you have no viable alternative apart from a full install, either of 12.04 or 12.10.

It would be a good idea first to try running from LiveCD/USB.

As to copy/pasting without a mouse, the only way I know of is to use the Edit menu 'Select All' and 'Copy' in a terminal; activate the Edit Menu with: 'Alt+e', navigate with the Arrow keys and press 'Enter'. Then paste it to a gedit window and transfer it with a Usb flash stick.

But, of course that will not work from a TTY, as it has no menus.

Chao!, bogan.
    Hey bogan.... so I was forced to do a complete reinstall after all. I connected the laptop to my modem via adsl and tried to boot from network. All this did was make it hang again and I was forced to swich it off and tried again but the same problem. So unfortunately, depsite your very helpful suggestions and contributions it seems I was unable to resolve the issue. Pretty annoying in the long run, but I'm being stoical. So a new install and upgrade to 11.10 is where I am at.... kinda back to where I started.

Big thanks again for your help & support. Cheers.
    R.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12