Thread: Running Tor with 12.10

Running Tor with 12.10

Okay, so i'm adjusting to the learning curve of Ubuntu, but It seems that there's a common problem that new users seem to experience with running/installing TOR.

Alot of people seem to recieve the error message "Vidalia exited abnormally. Exit code:127" when trying to run start-tor-browser from the bundle. Sadly, i'm one of those people. I've tried deleting every tor related file and re-downloading the bundle several times, and after that didn't work, i figured i'd turn to Terminal.

I've tried using the PPA provided by this website:
    http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/10/inst...39-1-from.html

but the thing is this website has 2 other PPA's as well claiming to work.

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/10/how-...er-to-use.html

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/08/inst...om-ppa-on.html

They don't.

Can someone please help?

Beans

Re: Running Tor with 12.10

I got the other notice:
    Vidalia was unable to start Tor. Check your settings to ensure the correct name and location of your Tor executable is specified.
    I just install vidalia with command "apt-get install vidalia".

In the command line. I type"vidalia" and got the message

(<unknown>:2813): IBUS-WARNING **: Unable to load /var/lib/dbus/machine-id: Failed to open file '/var/lib/dbus/machine-id': Permission denied

(<unknown>:2813): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot open directory /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors: Error opening directory '/usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors': Permission denied"
    I has been join the "debian-tor" group.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The error usually happens when Tor is already running, and Vidalia either needs to start Tor by itself under your account, or be given permission to control the existing Tor. Run this command to check
    Code:
    ps ax | grep tor
    Check the output and see if there is "tor" (and just "tor").

Try purging everything related to Tor and manually download the browser bundle from Tor Project's page, run it and see if it works.

Beans

First of all Google TOR, then choose the one that says Anonymity Online, the choose Tor Browser, select your architecture ie, 32 or 64, down load then extract to wherever you have downloaded it to, then RUN, you do not install TOR you run it, thats all there is to it.

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 on a 16Gb flash drive and it works for me.

Luck
    Last edited by jimmac49; October 30th, 2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Forgot about the Flash Drive

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jimmac49 View Post
    First of all Google TOR, then choose the one that says Anonymity Online, the choose Tor Browser, select your architecture ie, 32 or 64, down load then extract to wherever you have downloaded it to, then RUN, you do not install TOR you run it, thats all there is to it.

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 on a 16Gb flash drive and it works for me.

Luck
    Good thought, trying to run vidalia and keep getting

"Vidalia was unable to save your Advanced settings.
    ControlSocket path doesn't exist."

(And surely enough the Control Sokcet file isn't there, a fail from the installer?)

Its looking like install is more hassle then its worth I guess.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You are running what Vidalia? The installed one or the one started by the start_tor_browser.sh (may not be exact name) script found in the bundle?