Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X11 folder repeats and repeats and repeats...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: X11 folder repeats and repeats and repeats...

As mc4man says, it's a symbolic link to the /usr/bin folder. If you look at the detailed listing:

Code:
    $ ls -l X*
    -rwsr-sr-x 1 root root   10184 Mar 22  2012 X
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       1 Jul 27 16:13 X11 -> .
    You see that the symbolic link points to the current directory. If you're bored one day, you can try following it for a while. I don't think you'll find the end, though

At any rate, like others say, it's not worth messing with.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I do understand, but it seems to me about the worst possible way to do it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDavis View Post
    I do understand, but it seems to me about the worst possible way to do it.
    What I don't understand is how is the existence of this symlink folder
    causing you annoyance?
    Last edited by stinkeye; November 7th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It's been a long time since I've done programming but there MUST be better ways to do it than to make a folder that calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, ... my fingers are getting tired.

Beans

It simply reroutes anything looking for
    /usr/bin/X11
    to
    /usr/bin
    ...so it's not calling itself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDavis View Post
    It's been a long time since I've done programming but there MUST be better ways to do it than to make a folder that calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, calls itself, ... my fingers are getting tired.
    It doesn't, it only links to /usr/bin
    (actually the symlink is generic, it links to whatever dir. it's in, if you were to copy it your Documents folder then when opened from your Documents folder you'd see your Documents folder, ect.

What's repeating is you, you're browsing to the same target dir. over & over, not unlike chasing one's tail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12