Thread: A GRUB2 Theme For Ubuntu 13.04

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

A GRUB2 Theme For Ubuntu 13.04

Update: At the suggestion of morgenstond, I'm working on styling the theme in a similar manner to the Unity greeter for LightDM. You can see the progress of that in post 16.

After installing openSUSE a while back and seeing the default GRUB2 theme, I thought that my favorite distribution, Ubuntu, needed it's own. So this is my attempt at theme that lives up to the high standard of the artwork for Ubuntu. It's not finished, but it's getting there. You can find the theme here on GitHub. I hope to get this theme into the final release of 13.04.

Todo List:
    • Add a drop shodow to the menu and the terminal window.

How To Use:
    1) Clone the GitHub repository:
    Code:
    git clone git://github.com/dniMretsaM/Ubuntu-GRUB2-Theme.git
    2) Move the theme file:
    Code:
    cd Ubuntu-GRUB2-Theme/
    sudo mkdir /usr/share/grub/themes
    sudo cp --recursive ubuntu/ /usr/share/grub/themes/
    3) Add this line to /etc/default/grub:
    Code:
    GRUB_THEME=/usr/share/grub/themes/ubuntu/theme.txt
    4) Update GRUB's configuration:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Notes:
    • Although I'm making this theme for 13.04, it will work on other versions. I have included a .xcf of the logo (13.04.xcf), so you can easily change it to be 12.10, or what ever other version you want.
    • The background image (background.png) is currently the default wallpaper from 12.10. The theme will use Raring's default when it's available later in the development cycle.
    • The resolution in the screen shot is 1024x768 (I can't get my VinrtualBox install to use 1366x768), but the theme is not resolution dependant. Also, ignore the grey line at the bottom, as that's from VB.

So yeah, feel free to try it out. Make suggestions, contribute graphics, whatever.

Enjoy,
    dniMretsaM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dniMretsaM; November 8th, 2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Added 13.04.xcf as an attachment.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!