Thread: Cpu fan running way Louder than normal on ubuntu

Beans

Cpu fan running way Louder than normal on ubuntu

I dont know why but even just running youtube my cpu fan runs like a jet engine even. I tried 2 different cpus my temps are at 40 even running youtube,I dont get why its running so fast when I try to do stuff cause the cpu is doing very little in system monitor and the temps are low yet it still is way to loud louder than I ever heard it get.

I am running a intel core 2 quad q 8200. 4 gigs ddr 2 ram, Galaxy Geforce 550 ti gpu.

Maybe I should go back to ubuntu 12.04 32 bit I am currently useing the 64 bit version and the 32bit one gave me none of these problems.

Is there a way to control the cpu speed in Ubuntu cause installing ubuntu and updateing it took a wile.
    Last edited by Boytitan; November 5th, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Cpu fan running way Louder than normal on ubuntu

CPU frequency can be controlled using CPU frequency govenors. In my case frequency and govenor are shown in the xfce panel, I'm not sure where it can be found in general (exept for /proc/cpu) but I'm sure someone else knows.

Anyway, 40 degrees doesn't sound excessively hot, not as if the CPU is running at full speed. I sometimes hit 65 degrees with only one core running full speed, although my laptop is known as a model with poor cooling.

Did you check for dust?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Cpu fan running way Louder than normal on ubuntu

instead of changing the frequency try psychically cleaning the fan if the noise still persists try replacing the fan with a better one.