Thread: No Network Access after Upgrade to 12.10

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No Network Access after Upgrade to 12.10

While upgrading from 12.04 to 12.10 at home on a 3G dongle several weeks ago, I was asked to reboot. Upon the reboot, USBs would not mount automatically (including the dongle). Today, I was finally able to bring the box to work but when I tried plugging in the LAN cable it was not recognized.

There were about 700+ MB of downloaded updates that needed installed which I did. For some reason the computer does not recognize eth0 or eth1 for that matter (although there is only one LAN port).

I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting and the terms that I can think to google do not lead anywhere.

I am thinking that the upgrade didn't happen properly. Is there a way to download all possible network files with dependencies and then apply them manually? I don't want to reinstall if I can avoid it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No Network Access after Upgrade to 12.10

Can someone help prime the pump? I can not for the life of me discover the right terms to google in order to solve my problem.

What bash commands can I use to troubleshoot my network and usb issues?

What are the drivers/programs/apps/files that may have been corrupted by the upgrade that I could download on a different computer and install manually via a mounted usb drive?

How would I go about manually installing the files?

Is there a better solution?

If I get the network working, I can play with apt-get and try to fix anything else that is broken.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can get the USB 3G dongle to open up, but it won't connect. If I could get the 3G dongle working, I wouldn't even worry about the LAN at this stage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i run 10.04 but i had to delete this file then reboot the OS regens the file auto

look into your /etc/udev/rules.d/
    look for file with suffix

-persistent-net.rules or

70-persistent-net.rules

delete that file then
    reboot and try again

that is the name of the file you need but i do not know if that is the location on your build of ubuntu
    Give me 10 MIN before trying my post cause i always forget sutff and will be editing it. Usually to add things.
    Compaq Presario C700, Ubuntu 10.04, 8.1,XP sp3 no vga driver.
    When things are fixed mark thread as solved PLEASE! It is in thread tools.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Dn4mycrownj,

Yes, /etc/udev/rules.d contained the file that you mentioned.

I moved the 70-persistent-net.rules file to my Desktop and rebooted, however, the file did not regenerate and there is still no LAN/3G dongle connection.

Beans

Please post the outputs of (while the USB modem is connected) :
    Code:
    lsusb
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    lsmod
    ifconfig -a
    dmesg | tail -20
    As a side note, upgrades are never guaranteed to work properly. On the contrary, they are prone to errors and such problems. That's why a clean install is always recommended. It has always been an irony that the update manager 'proposes' to upgrade and doesn't warn users of the possible risks.

Also, 12.04 is LTS and switching from an LTS to an interim release is not recommended if you are not an enthusiast and prefer stability over bleeding edge technology.

And the last lesson that you should have already been aware of - always do backups before making any system-wide changes.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags