Thread: X, Amnesia, Flickering Graphics

Beans

X, Amnesia, Flickering Graphics

Ok, this is a best guess of subforum.

Lubuntu 12.10
    Intel HD 3000 Graphics, default open source driver from repos

I tried the demo on Windows 7 on the same computer, and didn't see this problem.

So, I recently bought Amnesia: Dark Descent through the Ubuntu Software Center. I started it up, and the first thing I noticed was flickering graphics. I've messed with all the settings, and no change. I got an idea that maybe something weird was going on between my WM (Openbox) and Amnesia, so I hit Ctrl-Alt-F1, and started an x server from there for Amnesia. It started up nice, and as soon as I got to the menu, the graphics weren't flickering! But, it's not using my intel driver, something called "gallium 0.4" or something. So, it's essentially unplayable. Any advice on getting it to use my driver?

EDIT: Openbox is the problem.
    EDIT EDIT: Actually, it seems both Lxde and Openbox are contributing to the problem.

Thanks for any responses.
    Last edited by dabbertorres; November 5th, 2012 at 03:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: X, Amnesia, Flickering Graphics

Hi, did you get this working?

I was playing Amnesia on HD3000 with 12.04 with no problems at all. Then I have upgraded - and last week thought I'd go back into the dungeon and am experiencing the flickering you mention.

Dropping down to all the lowest settings etc - makes no difference.

If you sorted it - please let me know!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm also experiencing this problem with the Intel HD 3000 on Ubuntu 12.10.

dabbertorres: Have you figured out a way to fix this?

Beans

Sorry for not checking this topic, I never found a way, but someone told me that it is a bug in 12.10 and wasn't fixed as long as I used that version.

I moved on to Arch Linux though, so this no longer applies to me. I ended up buying Amnesia on a Steam sale and playing it in Windows. That's how I fixed it. Not the way I'd have liked to, but oh well.