Thread: Dell Vostro 3550 Laptop and Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dell Vostro 3550 Laptop and Ubuntu

Hello friends:
    My Laptop is Dell Vostro 3550 on which Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is installed.

I can't configure it's big touch-pad (ALPS GlidePoint) properly. Due to this ALPS touch-pad, pointer jumps and display flickers (very annoying).
    After using external usb mouse, the problem disappears. But always using external mouse is cumbersome. So, need permanent solution for ALPS touch-pad.

In-built fingerprint reader don't working on Ubuntu, no driver found.
    It helps me in Windows 7 to log-in with a finger scan. Also it can be used either to logging into programs or to websites with a scan of a particular finger. Very useful piece of hardware. But I can't use it in Ubuntu.

Also I'm not able to configure Dell shortcut buttons located above upper right corner of keypad. No drivers found.

Are there any solution known to you? Thanks in advance.

[I have already configured it's Intel/ATI dual hybrid graphics. Dual graphics is now working fine. Laptop's unusual heating problem gone. Battery backup time increased by triple. No issues with web-cam, usb-3.0, WiFi, blue-tooth & LAN.]
    Last edited by RLDr; November 5th, 2012 at 12:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell Vostro 3550 Laptop and Ubuntu

Above mentioned ALPS touch-pad's pointer jumps and display flickers gone after switching my operating system from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Now I use Kubuntu 12.04 LTS as my main OS. I found this same problem occurring on other Gnome based distributions also, but this problem disappears on Kde based distributions. Kde rocks!! I don't have any fight with the alphabet 'K'.
    Why this is happening with Gnome, I don't know. Nautilus may be the cause, .... just guess.
    Also, I have not tested it with other desktop environments.