Thread: Recovering Ubuntu 10.04 w/ Lubuntu 12.04 Live CD

Beans

Lightbulb Recovering Ubuntu 10.04 w/ Lubuntu 12.04 Live CD [issue fixed, sorta]

AskUbuntu really hasn't been helpful with this at all, so I thought I'd try asking here.
    Question on AskUbuntu

Text of question:

My younger sister's computer suffered some major problems recently. The BIOS corrupted and attempted to load Ubuntu 10.04 in a way it shouldn't have. I'm not sure of the exact details, but the computer wouldn't start. Anyway, I put the drive in a new computer and attempted to recover it with a Lubuntu live CD. When I access her root folder on the mounted drive, it tells me I can't. What do I do? I'm not that experienced with Linux.

What's the specific error message? – ObsessiveSSOℲ 20 hours ago

Error opening directory '/media/lubuntu/string-of-numbers/home/user' Permission denied. – ndm13 20 hours ago

Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you so much.
    Last edited by ndm13; November 5th, 2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Solved, sorta.

Beans

Re: Recovering Ubuntu 10.04 w/ Lubuntu 12.04 Live CD

only thing i can offer here, is try
    Code:
    gksudo pcmanfm
    to open the lubuntu file manager with root permissions, and see if you can access the files.

maybe the drive is dying.

Edit:

i'm having a dopey moment, but shouldnt the path be /media/the drive(string of numbers)/home/user
    Last edited by black veils; November 4th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Beans

Re: Recovering Ubuntu 10.04 w/ Lubuntu 12.04 Live CD

Quote Originally Posted by black veils View Post
    only thing i can offer here, is try
    Code:
    gksudo pcmanfm
    to open the lubuntu file manager with root permissions, and see if you can access the files.

maybe the drive is dying.

Edit:

i'm having a dopey moment, but shouldnt the path be /media/the drive(string of numbers)/home/user
    Thank you for a prompt (relatively) response! Much better help here.

I will try that. I have to boot the computer again. I'll get back with the results.

And I thought I copied the line off the screen correctly. Maybe Lubuntu mounted the drive weird or something, but it was definitely the drive in the computer. An I did use an old drive in the computer, so after I recover the files, I'll try a different drive.

Thanks again!

Beans

Exclamation New Problems

I've been able to open /media/lubuntu/string-of-numbers/home/user (which does seem to be the right dir) and it contains a message saying this data has been encrypted. It says I can click a link to unprotect it and make it visible, but it doesn't seem to be working, maybe because of a difference in file managers? It also gives command line code that doesn't seem to do anything.

Text of notice:
    THIS DIRECTORY HAS BEEN UNMOUNTED TO PROTECT YOUR DATA.

For the graphical desktop, click on:
    "Access Your Private Data"

or

From the command line, run:
    encryptfs-mount-private

I don't know what to do. Any help?

Beans

Talking Alternate Solution

I found an old copy of Ubuntu 10.04 and used it to repair Ubuntu. Evidentally there was an issue with GRUB and an issue with the graphics settings being set wrong (from the previous system). From there I recovered the files. I'm still going to put Lubuntu 12.04 on in lieu of Ubuntu because it runs significantly faster.

Thanks for your help!