Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - WINE - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - WINE - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Now that is odd. Or maybe it's because of ATI.

When I searched for the exact same problem few years ago, this was the solution. Yet, I have KoTOR and KoTOR-II on this system and without this solution I'm having this problem too.

Since I don't have an ATI card, I can't be %100 sure but that first option in Image Section may be your solution as well. Because this common problem is absolutely about texture compression. Please take a look if you can solve your problem via changing "At least 1 texture must fit under worst-case assumptions" option.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anarchticgrimm View Post
    Now that is odd. Or maybe it's because of ATI.

When I searched for the exact same problem few years ago, this was the solution. Yet, I have KoTOR and KoTOR-II on this system and without this solution I'm having this problem too.

Since I don't have an ATI card, I can't be %100 sure but that first option in Image Section may be your solution as well. Because this common problem is absolutely about texture compression. Please take a look if you can solve your problem via changing "At least 1 texture must fit under worst-case assumptions" option.
    I set it to the other options, "No," and, "Announce hardware limitations," and tried it again to no avail.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Starminn View Post
    I set it to the other options, "No," and, "Announce hardware limitations," and tried it again to no avail.
    Then, Wine Application Database may have the answers. - According to these testing results;

force_s3tc_enable=true wine /path/to/kotor/swkotor.exe
    may help with texture compression problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anarchticgrimm View Post
    Then, Wine Application Database may have the answers. - According to these testing results;

may help with texture compression problems.
    Aha! That did it, man! I was actually trying this method earlier, but I forgot that I need "wine" in there since it was a .exe file.

My many thanks to you!!!

Marking as [SOLVED], but first a quick summary of the finished product for others searching....

---

Scenario:
    Trying to run "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" (NOT the online MMO -- rather, the single-player RPG).

Problem:
    Upon running the .exe, the "splash screen credits" (LucasArts, BioWare, etc.) ran fine, but the menu had a white background and all 3D models were lacking textures of any kind. Additionally, many text objects appeared as blobs or blocks instead of letters.

Conclusion:
    After the help of this forum, it was discovered that S3TC texture compression was disabled by default for me. DRIConf ("3D Acceleration") did not present this option to me. Somehow I must enable S3TC texture compression.

The Solution:
    When running the .exe, use the command line tool "force_s3tc_enable=true" BEFORE the rest of the NORMAL command to run the file. In my case, the following is run:
    Code:
    force_s3tc_enable=true wine /home/robert/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/LucasArts/SWKotOR/swkotor.exe
    Setup Notes:
    -Using the latest game version (1.0.3)
    -No custom registry keys have been added.
    -WINE is configured to run in Windowed mode, so none the of "disable certain mouse settings" apply.
    -As far as game configuration goes, the default game settings appear to work just fine.
    -The game disc is Disc 1 and is mounted manually from an .iso for the sake of a speed increase. This should be no different than from a physical CD/DVD, though.

Beans

I'm glad it solved. Still, there should be such option to enable s3tc texture compression as default.

Anyway, have fun =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12