Thread: Fresh install, audio broken after 1 day

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Angry Fresh install, audio broken after 1 day

Hello,

I'm not entirely new to Linux, having used Mint for a few years now.

I wanted to get into audio recording and installed Ubuntu Studio. I was very happy to get jack and rakarrack working out of the box, and starting playing and recording the guitar.

Then I fooled around a bit with gklick, audacity and ardour, all going well.

And then, all of a sudden, no more sound from rakarrack (or guitarix). Sound out works fine (I can play recorded stuff in Audacity using jack), but no more sound input from my guitar.

Hardware works fine as proven by a working guitar amp in Windows. Something mysteriously stopped working inside UbuntuStudio but I din't change anything.

What can I do? Or how can I reset things without reinstalling everything?

Many thanks in advance...

P.S. I use an USB audio adapter (esi ugm96) that worked plug and play and appears in qjackctl settings all right
    Last edited by bart.vanaudenhove; November 4th, 2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added PS

Beans

Re: Fresh install, audio broken after 1 day

Is there any specific why you chose to install ubuntu 9.10? Usually, later versions of Ubuntu handle hardware configuration better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Antoon Stessels View Post
    Is there any specific why you chose to install ubuntu 9.10? Usually, later versions of Ubuntu handle hardware configuration better.
    I didn't It's just still in my profile from a long time ago (pre-Mint I used Ubuntu) and I couldn't (find how to) change it. I installed UbuntuStudio12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, euh, this is a bit embarrassing but it might help another slightly confused person like me (at times) - it started working "again". In fact,I forgot I turned down the volume knob on my electric guitar

Well, thumbs up for Ubuntu Studio, and a nice siesta for me to get my head working again

Cheers,
    B