Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unzip a file with a name containing a string

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: unzip a file with a name containing a string

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    I am not sure that ls is any worse to parse than any other command, though globbing in the if statement could be faster.

both methods are going to give problems if any of the filenames have spaces in, or even worse if they contain characters like '*' or '\n'. see http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...s-in-the-names for examples of getting around this.
    For my case, the file names should only contain a-z 1-9 and . and -. So I think it should be fine. Also the time it takes isn't really a problem, and there should be only 0-3 files to parse anyways. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    I am not sure that ls is any worse to parse than any other command, though globbing in the if statement could be faster.
    ls doesn't necessarily show true representation of the filename and that affects later operations on the output, while directly called globs don't mangle data. Also globs are native while piping ls to get a subset of data means spawning processes and it has a cost.
    Code:
    $ time ( for f in *; do :; done; echo $f )
    real	0m0.001s
    user	0m0.010s
    sys	0m0.000s
    $ time ( ls | tail -n1 )
    real	0m0.006s
    user	0m0.030s
    sys	0m0.000s
    numbers may vary a bit, but the difference is visible.
    In this case it may be negligible, but spawning short lived process to perform trivial task may add up to some serious time.
    In general - to access set of files use native globs as often as possible. If that is not possible for whatever reason, look for the next best method that is still kosher and avoids filename problems completely (most likely using find ... -print0)
    While it might look like an overkill, it will lead you to a deeper understanding how shell works.

both methods are going to give problems if any of the filenames have spaces in, or even worse if they contain characters like '*' or '\n'. see http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...s-in-the-names for examples of getting around this.
    No, parsing ls output when there are file names with \n is broken beyond repair, because file1\nfile2 in its output is indistinguishable from file1part1\nfile1part2. with globs the problem doesn't exist at all.
    When you use simple
    Code:
    for f in *; do something with "$f"; done
    you can be sure that f will be filled with proper names, even chock full of newlines, spaces, tabs and whatnot - after all it's the shell that does it, not you by manual manipulation of string representations of names.
    The only thing left to do to be safe in this case is to put $f in double quotes to prevent troublesome characters like *, space or \n to mess things up.

OP, from that | tail -n1 i assume you want to access only the 'latest' file in alphabetical order? If so, the code should work. What should happen with the rest of matching files?
    Last edited by Vaphell; November 7th, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I want to just take worldedit.jar from the latest one (ei worldedit1-3-4 is later than worldedit1-3-3) and then delete all the .zip's
    But I do have a script that is working for what I need, so I don't really need any more help, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12