Thread: /usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-32-generic/Documentation/devices.txt not there?

Beans

/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-32-generic/Documentation/devices.txt not there?

I was wondering if someone could tell me why devices.txt is not present in my kernel source tree? /usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-32-generic/Documentation. Does this file still exist, is it in some other form? I'm running ubuntu 12.04.

I've started into learning the basics of module programming using http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/ht...pg.html#AEN425 as one of my guides and I realize it is a bit dated as the kernel is 2.6. Does this file still exist, is it in some other form?

Also, as an aside, I'd appreciate direction to any more kernel module programming.
    Last edited by Bad.Wulf; November 4th, 2012 at 06:01 AM.

Beans

Re: /usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-32-generic/Documentation/devices.txt not there?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad.Wulf View Post
    I was wondering if someone could tell me why devices.txt is not present in my kernel source tree? /usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-32-generic/Documentation. Does this file still exist, is it in some other form? I'm running ubuntu 12.04.

I've started into learning the basics of module programming using http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/ht...pg.html#AEN425 as one of my guides and I realize it is a bit dated as the kernel is 2.6. Does this file still exist, is it in some other form?

Also, as an aside, I'd appreciate direction to any more kernel module programming.
    i believe the package is called linux-doc

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-doc
    make sure you install dkms for kernel module hacking
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

Re: /usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-32-generic/Documentation/devices.txt not there?

Excellent, thank you good sir! That is exactly what I needed. Can't imagine why packaging the documentation with the kernel is not default.

Also, thanks for the heads up on dkms, I have it installed, looks very useful; like it solved a problem I was going to encounter soon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bad.Wulf View Post
    Excellent, thank you good sir! That is exactly what I needed. Can't imagine why packaging the documentation with the kernel is not default.

Also, thanks for the heads up on dkms, I have it installed, looks very useful; like it solved a problem I was going to encounter soon
    it is a waste of space. not everyone is a kernel developer

It is simple to get module info with modinfo command

Code:
    modinfo moduleName
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.