Thread: How To Deploy a Production Web Server "Cached" From a Secondary Server?

Beans

How To Deploy a Production Web Server "Cached" From a Secondary Server?

Hello Ubuntu Forums!

I'm new here. Names Peter Jaffray.

I would like to know what terminology I should be using, what searches I should be performing, etc. to accomplish the following task:

I would like to launch a server which copies cached copies of the websites from my main server. I am reaching the point where my website traffic is becoming an issue and the load on the database is quite large.

Thank you

Beans

Re: How To Deploy a Production Web Server "Cached" From a Secondary Server?

I believe what your looking for is "Load balancing" I have not had reason for this so I have not personally tested it but found this link to get you started, hopefully. If possible I'd do some testing before installing this into a production server.
    http://www.howtoforge.com/high_avail...apache_cluster

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffray View Post
    Hello Ubuntu Forums!

I'm new here. Names Peter Jaffray.

I would like to know what terminology I should be using, what searches I should be performing, etc. to accomplish the following task:

I would like to launch a server which copies cached copies of the websites from my main server. I am reaching the point where my website traffic is becoming an issue and the load on the database is quite large.

Thank you
    hmm
    You probably want a http accelerator caching server like varnish or a reverse-proxy cacher like squid. I have generally found varnish to be the better one.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Thanks guys. Load balancing is exactly right. I looked into those options and while doing research I found mod_pagespeed which seems to really help as well.

You can use mod_pagespeed to create static files which can then be moved and served from anywhere! A new phrase I learned is "Sharding Domains". But all in all its load balancing which is what I need.