Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP dv6z-7000 Beats Audio Speakers in (K)Ubuntu 12.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

HP dv6z-7000 Beats Audio Speakers in (K)Ubuntu 12.10?

I got myself a dv6z-7000 a few months ago. This is the AMD Trinity version of HP's 15.6" laptop lineup and it comes with HP's Beats Audio technology (2 main speakers above keyboard, two tweeters below LCD, and one subwoofer facing out under the laptop). It works fine in Windows and I had it sort of working in 12.04 (with the "model=ref" option) though that broke headphones.

I reinstalled it with Kubuntu 12.10 as I wanted to move to KDE and wanted a clean system. It's back to two speakers and working headphones. The Beats speakers really improve sound quality out of the laptop when not using headphones and I'd like to get it working.

I have tried the snd-hda-intel model=ref option again but it did not change anything. I have run the alsa-info.sh script, here is my output:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=3c...662841ab2b29c0

This is on a fresh 12.10 Kubuntu install, and I previously had Ubuntu 12.04 which had similar problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: HP dv6z-7000 Beats Audio Speakers in (K)Ubuntu 12.10?

OK! I figured it out! It sounds *awesome*!

Step 1: Install hda-jack-retask from here: https://launchpad.net/~diwic/+archive/hda (ppa:diwic/hda)

Step 2: Open hda-jack-retask

Step 3: Select the IDT 92HD91BXX codec (may be different on other models)

Step 4: Check the "Show unconnected pins" box (the internal speakers do not show as connected)

Step 5: Remap 0x0d (Internal Speaker, Front side) to "Internal speaker"

Step 6: Remap 0x0f ("Not connected" but is the under-display speakers) to "Internal speaker"

Step 7: Remap 0x10 ("Not connected" but is the subwoofer) to "Internal speaker (LFE)"

Step 8: Apply now, then test with your favorite audio program (some may not work due to Pulse reset, so find one that does, verify sound is coming from all speakers).

Step 9: If it works, select "Install boot override" to save the settings to apply at boot time.

Step 10: Reboot. When it comes back, you should have full sound from all speakers. Also test headphones. Plugging in headphones should disable sound from all internal speakers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thank you for this, it worked perfectly on my HP Envy.

Beans

I have just tested your method on the HP Pacilion dv6 with beats audio (I am unsure of the detailed model number).
    The speakers work wonderfully after your fix!
    However, after applying it I realized the the headphones no longer worked. After playing around for a bit the way to fix this is to:
    • Check "Show Unconnected Pins"
    • Override 0x0c (I know it is listed as a mic, but it controls the two headphone jacks for what ever reason)
    • Select "Line out (Front)" from the drop box
    • Apply
    • Test
    • Install boot override
    • Reset your computer and ensure it worked.

Beans

Thank you so much for this, this was the only thing holding me back from using Linux full time. For anyone with an HP DV7 6c95dx or similar model, here's the configuration.

Beans

Thanks! It worked for me, I have a HP Pavilion dv7-4165dx and this is the best audio configuration I've found so far. Subwoofer doesn't seem crashed whith high volume, 5 speakers working and they disable when I plug headphones on. Thanks again for sharing the solution.

Beans

Does not work on 13.04. Config cannot be saved. Save file does not exist. Created save file but does not work with VLC and does not work with keyboard controls and eliminates almost all options from Phonon. Not advised.
    Last edited by ferd; May 23rd, 2013 at 04:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have a HP Envy 17 (3070nr) running Kubuntu 13.04.

hda-jack-retask found the codec IDT 92HD91BXX.

I am able to remap everything as mentionned without errors, but it does not change anything : only the two front speakers are working. Also, I don't see any "Speaker1" in AlsaMixer...

I also noticed that after appying the changes, the Phonon-PulseAudio integration is lost : "PulseAudio Sound Server" is the only device showed in Phonon. So I have to manually launch start-pulseaudio-kde to get the Phonon-PulseAudio integration back.

Anything I could try ?

Beans
    Hidden!

HP dv6z-7000 Beats Audio Speakers in (K)Ubuntu 13.04 ?

To all that succeeded to get the 4 speakers + subwoofer working in 12.10, please can you confirm it still works in 13.10 ?

Thanks.

Beans

I own a HP Envy 14 Spectre. I followed the steps but it seems to me that nothing changes, and I don't see any "Speaker1" in AlsaMixer. The only change is that in the Sound settings I see a new profile, "Analog Surround 4.0 Output", but if I select this nothing changes, the subwoofer is still grey, and if I try to do a test sound only the two front speakers work... Any suggestion?

EDIT: The weird thing is that with thedefault configuration (without using hda-jack-retask), if I try to do a speakers test through
    Code:
    speaker-test -c5 -l1 -twav
    I get 5 working speakers:

Code:
    speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is default
    Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 5 channels
    WAV file(s)
    Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
    Buffer size range from 39 to 419430
    Period size range from 12 to 139810
    Using max buffer size 419428
    Periods = 4
    was set period_size = 104857
    was set buffer_size = 419428
     0 - Front Left
     1 - Front Right
     2 - Rear Left
     3 - Rear Right
     4 - Center
    Time per period = 9,273190
    But If I go to Sound settings or in alsamixer I only have two speakers...
    Last edited by russomarco; October 27th, 2013 at 02:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast