Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Ubuntu use Gnome 3.6 or 3.8 for Raring 13.04 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Should Ubuntu use Gnome 3.6 or 3.8 for Raring 13.04 ?

Here we go again, the never ending debate

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/ubunt...omponents.html

What do you want from Ubuntu between the long term releases ?

Stability would mean to follow Gnome releases one step behind.

Progression would mean to keep up the pace with the Gnome releases and use the current development version (which eventually will become 3.8 )

I personally would like progression because I use the UGR and would be sad to see UGR following Gnome one step behind Fedora.

I can understand, from the Ubuntu perspective, it would be better to follow one step behind and concentrate the development on Unity, but I dislike the fact that Unity will be locking the Gnome version in Ubuntu.

Maybe it's time to jump ship to follow Gnome ?
    I used to love Ubuntu when Gnome was the default desktop, but that all changed with Unity.

What do you want from Ubuntu ? Gnome 3.6 or the current development version that will become 3.8 ?
    Last edited by Stinger; November 4th, 2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Some people tend to misunderstand the Gnome versions

Beans

Re: Should Ubuntu use Gnome 3.6 or 3.8 for Raring 13.04 ?

None of them. They should either make the extension by themselves or go back to 3.4.1, which has lot of extensions which make the gnome-shell work. They should make an Ubuntu based Gnome distro, rather than a Fedora one, which is always buggy. The Fedora one would say "Oh no!Something has gone wrong."

On the other hand, if Ubuntu is not going to help/sponsor the Ubuntu-Gnome Remix, it can use any Gnome 3 variant.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is the main point of your reasoning is it not?

I used to love Ubuntu when Gnome was the default desktop, but that all changed with Unity.
    You want Ubuntu to be a Gnome distribution through and through, including Gnome shell for the user interface. Notice these point:

tracking unstable GNOME is taking lot of resources

GNOME unstable series and Ubuntu "working every day" are hard to conciliate goals

GNOME is not communicating early enough on what is coming for us to discuss next cycle at UDS (see nautilus 3.6 in quantal)

GNOME is shipping stables with transitions half done (see gstreamer 1.0 this cycle) which is not something we want in Ubuntu

Our "feedback loop" with GNOME is not really working nowadays
    I do not understand why you claim that Gnome 3.8 is the current release.

According to this link, Gnome 3.7 is the unstable development series meant for testing and hacking purposes. It does not turn into stable Gnome 3.8 until 27th March 2013. Which leaves very little time to integrate it into Ubuntu 13.04.

https://live.gnome.org/action/show/ThreePointSeven

Cooperation has to work both ways. Otherwise it is not cooperation. If the Gnome organisation people had been a little more cooperative 18 months ago then Ubuntu would now be available with a choice of UI - Gnome shell or Unity as a standard offering. In my opinion.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I was opposed to this at first but the reasons discussed in the session made me a lot happier. Ubuntu's number one focus needs to be the users, and if we can build a better operating system by following GNOME a release behind, it's the right choice, and a non-LTS release is the right time to test that.

Of course, it remains to be seen if that will happen. I'm still concerned that we could end up with something unsustainable as Ubuntu-specific projects continue in their own directions irrespective of GNOME, possibly resulting a worse technical situation than we started with as the negative effects take a whole release to materialize.

On the other hand, this provides a great opportunity to integrate stuff properly so Unity stops being so brazenly incompatible with GNOME. Now Nautilus and Control Centre are being updated to 3.6, and there's a whole six months to consider how Unity copes with these things and get it all nice and tidy. (For example: try to look for settings in the same place as upstream; behave sensibly with GApplication menus; add new settings panels instead of patching existing ones to behave completely differently; and turn some of those old settings applications into proper settings panels). Since collaboration is a little limited, that could be a lot more manageable when GNOME isn't a moving target.

I'm certainly hoping for the latter possibility, even if it means old GNOME for a while
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; November 4th, 2012 at 01:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My longest standing problem with ubuntu has always been: bugs, bugs, bugs. They need more stable, polished releases badly, and if this helps with that then I am for it.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    My longest standing problem with ubuntu has always been: bugs, bugs, bugs. They need more stable, polished releases badly, and if this helps with that then I am for it.
    +1 Very well said.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    This is the main point of your reasoning is it not?

You want Ubuntu to be a Gnome distribution through and through, including Gnome shell for the user interface.
    One can always hope that Mark wakes up one day and embraces Gnome instead of pulling it to pieces
    But one has to be realistic too and that's not gonna happen in near future.

No you are quite wrong, that's not the main point, the main point is, why not let us play with a upstream Gnome development release between the long term releases from Ubuntu ?
    This would benefit both Unity ( for Gnome compatibility and integration ) and Gnome for better bug reporting ( more users to test Gnome ).

I think it could be a win win scenario But I might be wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    According to this link, Gnome 3.7 is the unstable development series meant for testing and hacking purposes. It does not turn into stable Gnome 3.8 until 27th March 2013. Which leaves very little time to integrate it into Ubuntu 13.04.
    Oh, someone would make a gnome 3.8 ppa within hours and would be ready with that ppa, before the Ubuntu release date.

Gnome 3.7.1 is in the Raring repos already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Oh, someone would make a gnome 3.8 ppa within hours and would be ready with that ppa, before the Ubuntu release date.

Gnome 3.7.1 is in the Raring repos already.
    Actually it is Gnome 3.6.1 - 3.6.2 which is in Raring official repos ATM.

However, the git versions of some Gnome 3.7.1 applications can be found from certain PPA's, like Gnome Testing PPA (Ricotz).

Gnome 3.7.1 is the development route leading to the final 3.8.0.

Beans
    Distro

ubuRR with gnome-shell 3.6 for quality and stability throughout development cycles. Or adding ricotz testing ppa if you want to use bleeding edge gnome 3.7. But I'm still like and using Unity as main desktop
    Last edited by serdotlinecho; November 5th, 2012 at 08:03 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast