Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Should Ubuntu use Gnome 3.6 or 3.8 for Raring 13.04 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Should Ubuntu use Gnome 3.6 or 3.8 for Raring 13.04 ?

Well, still waiting but I don't mind I think Gnome 3.8 is worth waiting for, as you can se in yet another nice review from Muktware.

Gnome 3.8 review: it's almost there

Still cant use it though due to my GDM bug 'GDM wont start on Ubuntu GNOME using Gnome3 ppa' bug #1162466' , but 'someone' is working on it
    Please add yourself if you are trying Gnome 3.8 from Gnome3 ppa, and you are affected too.
    I can see that three more are affected here, here and here so there may be more.
    Last edited by Stinger; April 2nd, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

you should use Apport to get more complete info; and add the required tags to populate the bug's queues

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    you should use Apport to get more complete info; and add the required tags to populate the bug's queues
    I would have done if I could login, can't even get a terminal working, sorry.
    Will of course provide Jeremy or others with all the info they find necessary.

Beans

If you're using Gnome 3.8 for just classic please just use XFCE, personally XFCE is an awesome project that's active and already does everything Gnome2 did and is going further so eventually either by XFCE5 we should see what gnome should have been but gnome 3.8 is a solid release.

I never found gnome-classic in any settings... is it a session only? I had gnome-shell-extensions installed oh well.

I would personally give the classic mode a few more releases, until I can customize it like xfce or the original gnome 2 I'll stick to xfce but will keep it around mainly as GTK3 has awesome shell themes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Well, still waiting but I don't mind I think Gnome 3.8 is worth waiting for, as you can se in yet another nice review from Muktware.

Gnome 3.8 review: it's almost there

Still cant use it though due to my GDM bug 'GDM wont start on Ubuntu GNOME using Gnome3 ppa' bug #1162466' , but 'someone' is working on it
    Please add yourself if you are trying Gnome 3.8 from Gnome3 ppa, and you are affected too.
    I can see that three more are affected here, here and here so there may be more.
    Bug solved.
    When adding the Gnome3 ppa, you need to sudo
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    to resolve the dependency problems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Bug solved.
    When adding the Gnome3 ppa, you need to sudo
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    to resolve the dependency problems.
    That is not true: the problem was due to the so many packages not installed on your system, meaning that some normal missed dependencies have pushed out that trouble; so finally a dis-upgrade was required to get a stable installation.

Beans
    Distro

@ dino99
    I downloaded the Ubuntu-GNOME daily live CD and and installed it.
    I would expect the Ubuntu-GNOME daily live to be updated and containing all the packages needed to install Ubuntu-GNOME, right ?

Can you please explain to me how the problem can be "so many packages not installed on your system" ?

Furthermore, when I add the Gnome3 ppa I would expect to do 'apt-get-update' and 'apt-get upgrade'
    No where on the Gnome3 ppa page it says any different.

Beans
    Distro

@ dino99
    Furthermore, when I add the Gnome3 ppa I would expect to do 'apt-get-update' and 'apt-get upgrade'
    No where on the Gnome3 ppa page it says any different.
    I've added that information now to the PPA page. This will also be added to the Beta 2 Release Notes.

Part of the problem is that this is the first time since Natty that the GNOME3 PPA has shipped a completely different version of GNOME than is shipped in the corresponding Ubuntu release.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I've added that information now to the PPA page. This will also be added to the Beta 2 Release Notes.

Part of the problem is that this is the first time since Natty that the GNOME3 PPA has shipped a completely different version of GNOME than is shipped in the corresponding Ubuntu release.
    I did a regular apt-get upgrade, and all seems to be working fine. Should I issue an apt-get dist-upgrade command?

Beans
    Distro

@ jbicha
    Thanks again much appreciated

@ sgage
    What does
    Code:
    gnome-shell --version
    give you ? it should say
    Code:
    GNOME Shell 3.8.0.1
    If it says GNOME Shell 3.6.3.1 , you should do 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' to avoid conflicting packages.
    Last edited by Stinger; April 4th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast