All right, so I have a Windows XP partition and everything was running fine. I decided to reboot and after loading the BIOS I was left with a black screen, no Windows logo, no further progress. Interestingly, it was projecting black - my monitor did not go to standby. This implies to me that it was waiting on some process, but I let it run for a long time with no result.

I try some boot disks. All of my Linux-based tools work fine, but they tell me that something's wrong with my filesystem in my Windows partition and I need to boot into Windows and run "chkdsk /f". None of my Windows-based boot disks will boot, they all hang just like before, so I can't do that. I'm here in the Ubuntu forum because it's been suggested to me that I should try an Ubuntu boot disk and run fsck, but it's giving me this error:

"fsck: fsck.ntfs: not found"

Checking, I can verify that ntfs-3g is installed. So. If anyone could tell me how to resolve this error, or perhaps offer another approach on how to resolve my initial problem, I'd be most appreciative.