Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How do you find 'games' in 12.10?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    163

    Question How do you find 'games' in 12.10?

    I mean accessing all the games that are in Ubuntu. In reviews of Ubuntu 10.x, I see there is a folder called 'Applications' on the launcher (which you can right-click and select games), but there is none in 12.10. The only way to find them seems to be to expand the 'Installed' on the Unity menu. Is there a category for it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    7,749

    Re: How do you find 'games' in 12.10?

    Tap Windows key, type "games."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,902
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: How do you find 'games' in 12.10?

    If you're looking for a specific game, searching for the name of the game in the Dash is a quick and easy way to get to it.

    If you're just wanting to browse games, I would suggest pulling up the Software Center. The initial screen has categories listed along the left side, and "Games" just happens to be one of them.

    F.Y.I., 10.x didn't have a "launcher". The launcher is a part of the Unity interface, which became part of Ubuntu with 11.04. That top part is called a "panel". In 10.x, that was part of the Gnome 2 interface. There's still a panel in the Unity interface, but it doesn't include the Applications menu. If you want an interface that looks like 10.x, you can install gnome-session-fallback. (There are plenty of threads on how to do this, so I'll let you do your own searching...)
    Last edited by newb85; November 6th, 2012 at 03:11 AM.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    163

    Re: How do you find 'games' in 12.10?

    snowpine: Only FreeCell Solitarire comes up if I type 'games', and two more when I type 'game'.

    newb85: Sorry, thought 10.04 introduced the Unity interface. I meant 11.04 then. I know what a panel is, the difference between Gnome and Unity and that. And thanks for the answer, can't believe you can't browse after categories. (I don't know all the games that come with this one, so I'd just like to browse.)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    5,140
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: How do you find 'games' in 12.10?

    Use the filter result feature in the dash.
    Open the dash, either the mouse way, by clicking the icon and then clicking the apps icons at the bottom of the dash then click the filter results arrow to produce a dropdown of various categories. Or use the easier method of the keyboard and click super+A, then do the same thing as above.

    Note: the dash will only list the games on your system which have a .desktop file.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,902
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: How do you find 'games' in 12.10?

    Jetro, perhaps you weren't referring to 11.x, but to 10.x Netbook Edition. I never used Netbook Edition, but I seem to recall hearing that it essentially spawned Unity.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    7,749

    Re: How do you find 'games' in 12.10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetro View Post
    snowpine: Only FreeCell Solitarire comes up if I type 'games', and two more when I type 'game'.
    What is the specific name of the game that is not appearing in your dash, that you think should be?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    163

    Re: How do you find 'games' in 12.10?

    Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Jetro, perhaps you weren't referring to 11.x, but to 10.x Netbook Edition. I never used Netbook Edition, but I seem to recall hearing that it essentially spawned Unity.
    Yes, that's it! I was reading a Netbook review

    Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Use the filter result feature in the dash.
    Open the dash, either the mouse way, by clicking the icon and then clicking the apps icons at the bottom of the dash then click the filter results arrow to produce a dropdown of various categories. Or use the easier method of the keyboard and click super+A, then do the same thing as above.

    Note: the dash will only list the games on your system which have a .desktop file.
    Ah, THERE it is! I hadn't even tried the filter, didn't know it worked like that. That's what I wanted! Thanks!

    snowpine: Just the games that come with Ubuntu, or a package of game I installed afterwards, not knowing what they're called. I wanted to find a 'Games' category, because searching for 'games' is not efficient.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •