Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With Installation

Beans

Help With Installation

So, I have decided to switch to a Linux OS (I am tired of Windows bogging down my computer), but I am struggling trying to get Ubuntu installed.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 (32 bit)and I have downloaded Ubuntu (the 32 bit version) and burned it onto a CD. I click to "Install or Run program" and then click on "Demo or Fully Install" and am given the choices of Reboot now, manually reboot later, or reboot from CD. I have rebooted, several times, but I always reboot right back to Windows with no choice to install Ubuntu. I have been working on this for four hours now and have hopped from site to site (including Ubuntu) trying to figure out what the problem may be. However, I am struggling. I have not updated BIOS yet as I am waiting to see if that could actually be the problem or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    MegaNaught

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help With Installation

Some more info would help - I guess you are using the Windows installer of 12.10 (32-bit)?

Are you sure it's a CD? Should be a DVD as far as I know.

Have you set your BIOS to boot the PC from CD before hard-disk?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Yes, more info please.

Is this a wubi install? Are your installing ubuntu inside windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by MegaNaught View Post
    So, I have decided to switch to a Linux OS (I am tired of Windows bogging down my computer), but I am struggling trying to get Ubuntu installed.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 (32 bit)and I have downloaded Ubuntu (the 32 bit version) and burned it onto a CD. I click to "Install or Run program" and then click on "Demo or Fully Install" and am given the choices of Reboot now, manually reboot later, or reboot from CD. I have rebooted, several times, but I always reboot right back to Windows with no choice to install Ubuntu. I have been working on this for four hours now and have hopped from site to site (including Ubuntu) trying to figure out what the problem may be. However, I am struggling. I have not updated BIOS yet as I am waiting to see if that could actually be the problem or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    MegaNaught
    Is Windows still open here? You don't RUN a live cd/dvd of linux from windows like you would any other cd. It must be booted.

Set the bios or use the Boot Key shown on the bios screen when it first boots up. Hit the boot key before windows starts to load. Choose to boot from the dvd.

The live ubuntu will come up and you can choose how to run it. I suggest TRY live and try it out before installing. It can be then be installed from the live dvd's desktop.

Edited to add: UNLESS you are installing Wubi as asked by post # 3.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

First of all, yes, it is a DVD. I goofed on typing that one. Secondly, I think it is a wubi install, but I don't want to run it inside of windows, I want to partition my hard drive (I have almost 40gb of space available).

I clicked the "reboot now" option, but did not hit the boot key. I guess in my naivete I thought the boot option would automatically come up. I will try rebooting and hitting the boot key. I will let you all know if that works.

Also, thank you very much for the quick replies.

Beans

If you Have the wubi install dvd it cannot be used to install ubuntu on a separate partition.

Download from the link below. The second choice on the list. I say second choice because your lappy is 64 bit and even though 32 bit will work just fine you will squeeze a little bit more performance out of it.

Also 12.04 is a bit more stable than 12.10 and I think a better choice for a beginner.

Edit:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Insta...S-266201.shtml
    Last edited by ibjsb4; November 3rd, 2012 at 05:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    If you Have the wubi install dvd it cannot be used to install ubuntu on a separate partition.

Download from the link below. The second choice on the list. I say second choice because your lappy is 64 bit and even though 32 bit will work just fine you will squeeze a little bit more performance out of it.

Also 12.04 is a bit more stable than 12.10 and I think a better choice for a beginner.

Edit:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Insta...S-266201.shtml
    That link you placed is not wubi, correct? Again, I appreciate the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@MegaNaught: what is the iso called? The regular installer should be ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso (for 32-bit 12.10 release) and weighs in at 753M

this would be the page where you choose 12.10 or 12.04 install images or opt for the wubi installer

If you want a separate install skip the wubi and grab one of the images 12.10/12.04 32-bit (if you haven't already got it on the dvd you are trying to boot from) at the links on this page

You will need to set your PC to boot from CD before HDD in the BIOS
    Last edited by tokyobadger; November 3rd, 2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: additional info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MegaNaught View Post
    That link you placed is not wubi, correct? Again, I appreciate the help.
    No that is not wubi, you will be given the option to install side by side. And 12.04 will fit on a CD; DVD is not necessary.

Edit: Also burn at low speed.
    Last edited by ibjsb4; November 3rd, 2012 at 05:47 AM.

Beans

Also if you don't already know. You can use "Thread Tools" located at about the top of this thread to subscribe for email notification when you get a reply. Just something handy to know

Tis bedtime. Good night and good luck ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast