Thread: After upgrade to Quantal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

After upgrade to Quantal

I was disappointed with webapps.
    I was not notified of the five messages in my Facebook inbox or the new posts.
    It opened a new window, which made chromium unusable. I could not use chromium to enter addresses in the address bar, open bookmarks, etc.
    I uninstalled this.

I do not use lenses, so everything with lenses that I found hogging memory in System Monitor have been uninstalled. I hope that's safe and doesn't screw up unity later.
    All the apps I use are on the launcher, so everything else unity-related is useless to me.

When I was with precise, I stopped using Firefox since it had become a memory hog - 1 gigabyte by keeping five-seven tabs open! Seriously?! When did a browser start using 25% of total memory? But this new version of Firefox is really great. Even with seven tabs open and after two hours of use, memory use stayed under 500mb. So I dumped Chromium for Firefox. I'll keep chromium as a back up.

I don't like how the new software update automatically checks for updates. Sometimes I just want to check my settings, not look for updates.

My cinnamon has been removed. Hopefully there will be support for quantal later on. I like cinnamon as an alternative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: After upgrade to Quantal

Ooops!

I may have deleted needed unity settings. I log in and only greeted with a blank screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: After upgrade to Quantal

It's safer to stay with LTS releases (12.04) unless you like to test the latest new features (12.10), and have the time to research fixes. In that case, I'd use a separate partition or hdd so it doesn't interfere with your working system.

Don't delete/uninstall system stuffs! If you don't like the lens, launcher, etc; install another desktop environment and choose that when you login. Or install Xubuntu 12.10. It's perfect.

Good luck!
    Last edited by critin; November 5th, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?