Thread: Windows 7, is there a good way to migrate all user data to a partion other than C:?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Windows 7, is there a good way to migrate all user data to a partion other than C:?

I just got a new 3 TB hard disk drive. Right now I share files with Windows by symlinking individual folders in Ubuntu to equivalent places in my Windows users folders.

This older disk is very, very full and I'd like to migrate everything under the Windows 7 Users folder, to the new disk, similar to moving /home on Ubuntu, and updating the symlinks in Ubuntu.

Is there an elegant way to do this? My goggling has turned up people suggesting to simply move the folders and add the new locations to their libraries.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Windows 7, is there a good way to migrate all user data to a partion other than C

Its a Windows question but...

Yues you can create an ntfs partition copy all the user information to that drive and the change the location in Windows this looks about right http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/20...another-drive/.

Then you can simlink into it from Ubuntu etc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Windows 7, is there a good way to migrate all user data to a partion other than C

Which is why I posted it in other os/distro talk

The junction idea looks good, I didn't realize NTFS had that capability, much like a symlink actually. I'll give that a go, it looks like it's the most "transparent" straight forward method.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well I tried it and it simply isn't working for me, I'm not sure why. I'm going to have a go at this guide which tells you how to do it during the installation process.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ml#post1159551

Here we go again, working with MS-DOS commands was a real crash course on dos commands, I kept typing ls and wondering why it didn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The last method seems to have worked well, something that's so simple to do in Ubuntu, way complicated to do in Windows. *grumble*

I had issues even getting my users profile to copy due to permissions issues (apparently an admin can be locked out of users folders) I wonder if the first method only failed because my copy of my profile was perhaps not perfectly in tact.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    The junction idea looks good, I didn't realize NTFS had that capability, much like a symlink actually. I'll give that a go, it looks like it's the most "transparent" straight forward method.
    as of vista windows does have symlinks, but i don't think you can link to files
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post