Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemur Upgrade to 12.10 gone wrong or bad timing hardware failure

Beans

Exclamation Lemur Upgrade to 12.10 gone wrong or bad timing hardware failure

I downloaded and did an inplace upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 last night. It all seemed to go fine but when I restarted the system it went immediately into memtest and started spitting memory errors during the random number test (@ ~44% memtest completion). The errors were still screaming by after I left it run overnight (8 hours later)

I'm try to determine if this is upgrade related or an unfortunate hardware failure coincidence.

Also, regardless of the cause, I would like to get a functioning system back. What info would you need to help me troubleshoot?

I'm running a 64-bit system on a Lemur laptop(model:lemu2) with 8GB RAM (I think - I haven't checked in a while)

Thanks
    DNAtsol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lemur Upgrade to 12.10 gone wrong or bad timing hardware failure

Quote Originally Posted by DNAtsol1 View Post
    I downloaded and did an inplace upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 last night. It all seemed to go fine but when I restarted the system it went immediately into memtest and started spitting memory errors during the random number test (@ ~44% memtest completion). The errors were still screaming by after I left it run overnight (8 hours later)

I'm try to determine if this is upgrade related or an unfortunate hardware failure coincidence.

Also, regardless of the cause, I would like to get a functioning system back. What info would you need to help me troubleshoot?

I'm running a 64-bit system on a Lemur laptop(model:lemu2) with 8GB RAM (I think - I haven't checked in a while)

Thanks
    DNAtsol
    Go into the Grub menu (by holding shift immediately after the System76 Splash screen), then make sure to choose a non-MemTest option. See if it will go into Ubuntu.

If MemTest it spitting errors, then it's likely failed RAM (Software can't cause RAM prblems), so i would open a ticket on our website: https://www.system76.com/my-account
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Go into the Grub menu (by holding shift immediately after the System76 Splash screen), then make sure to choose a non-MemTest option. See if it will go into Ubuntu.

If MemTest it spitting errors, then it's likely failed RAM (Software can't cause RAM prblems), so i would open a ticket on our website: https://www.system76.com/my-account
    Thanks. Just to complicate things, I did s you suggested and while trying to boot to GRUB the screen flashed 3 "error: file not found" before bringing up the GRUB list. There were only 2 options, both memtest. 1 for memtest and 1 for memtest with console)

So, it might still be an updating software error (- corrupted grub?). If memtest is the only option it can't really boot to the new or previous Ubuntu) but I tend to agree that it's likely a HW failure. However, before I open a ticket I would like to be sure.

So, can I edit GRUB or point to an externally located GRUB (say on a USB) and try to boot from there?

Thanks
    DNAtsol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DNAtsol1 View Post
    Thanks. Just to complicate things, I did s you suggested and while trying to boot to GRUB the screen flashed 3 "error: file not found" before bringing up the GRUB list. There were only 2 options, both memtest. 1 for memtest and 1 for memtest with console)

So, it might still be an updating software error (- corrupted grub?). If memtest is the only option it can't really boot to the new or previous Ubuntu) but I tend to agree that it's likely a HW failure. However, before I open a ticket I would like to be sure.

So, can I edit GRUB or point to an externally located GRUB (say on a USB) and try to boot from there?

Thanks
    DNAtsol
    Okay. What I'm guessing happened is that the RAM failed at some point durig the upgrade, then that caused the upgrade to fail. Go ahead and open a ticket on our website, and we'll take care of it there.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

My pang9 has the same problem, memtest had errors at 44%, even after putting in replacement ram and moving it to the second slot. I think it must be a software issue, one that unfortunately causes me kernel panics.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LeeS87 View Post
    My pang9 has the same problem, memtest had errors at 44%, even after putting in replacement ram and moving it to the second slot. I think it must be a software issue, one that unfortunately causes me kernel panics.
    were you able to resolve the issue?? I just had system76 ship RAM replacement and if that is not the issue then I'll be looking for a next step.
    Last edited by DNAtsol1; November 7th, 2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

It appears that the ramtest errors have something to do with the test, since after replacing the ram, I reinstalled Ubuntu, and while the test still has the same results, Ubuntu has not had a kernel panic since. So, maybe memtest86 no longer works properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LeeS87 View Post
    It appears that the ramtest errors have something to do with the test, since after replacing the ram, I reinstalled Ubuntu, and while the test still has the same results, Ubuntu has not had a kernel panic since. So, maybe memtest86 no longer works properly.
    Are you using the version included in Ubuntu, or the one downloaded form memtest.org? I've always found the one included with the Ubuntu installation to be a bit buggy on modern hardware, and need to use the later version from the Memtest Website.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I was using the one in Ubuntu, and while I couldn't figure out how to download the other one to usb, I did discover that there is an Ubuntu specific memtest bug that would make it fail around 44% on Sandy Bridge (I'm guessing the bug also exists on Ivy Bridge). This still doesn't explain why I get specific crashes, the most likely crash being when the computer is left on for a long period of time.

Beans

OK, so the Memtest off of the 12.10 is bad. I have gotten similar errors from the one I got from the lubuntu disk, version 4.20, I think. Is the version off the web site good?
    Installed Lubuntu 10.10 on a twentieth century computer without a working CD drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast