Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard bans linux community

Beans

Re: Blizzard bans linux community

Did anyone who visited play on linux forums notice, that all banned users from there were using Ubuntu? Perhaps it is a part of the problem?
    A part smaller than Blizzard's lack of respect for paying consumer.
    Could Ubuntu itself cause these bans?

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

How did you not know this would happen? I play many MMORPG games and most of them have a hack scanner. (It scans for programs trying to access the game). I tried to play knight online and i got banned for a month from trying to run it on wine. (Oh the humanity (My lvl 75 warrior was so lonely! :'| ))

The only method i know that works to play games with wine without getting banned it to use a private server.

Beans
    Hidden!

There has been several different ways to log into battle.net using Ubuntu 12.04 as a change in a kernel setting would not allow you to simply log in. This is/was true for D3 and SC2. Not sure if different methods for making this work perhaps cause the system to see the accounts differently and thus causes the issue.

For myself, I played both SC2 and D3 using PlayonLinux and more recently Crossover without issues (that being said I haven't played D3 in a few months so can't say that the recent banning won’t affect me).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My issue with all the comments from Blizzard and in their defense, claiming that they've tested and none of the bans were based on using wine, is that history is against them.

A number of years ago, before I gave up on MMO's entirely, I used to play World of Warcraft on Cedaga. (They may have still been calling it WineX at that point). At least several hundred, if not several thousand linux users playing through Cedega, which was far more stable than wine at that point, were all banned. Blizzard was completely unresponsive, and refused to even discuss details with the community.

I was one of those who was banned, and when I tried to post my complaints on blizzard's forum, the community called me a liar and a cheat. They referenced similar claims from Blizzard, and insisted that they only way I was banned was if I was using a bot, never mind that every WoW bot in existence at that point required the .NET framework, which was completely unsupported in linux at that point. One memorable response suggested that while I may not have cheated, it was my own fault for refusing to us a "real operating system."

The only reason that we were unbanned was that Transgaming went to bat for it's paying subscribers, and helped Blizzard patch their Warden program so that it wouldn't be tripped by Cedega.

Unless the Wine foundation does something similar here, it's unlikely that people will get unbanned, and linux gamers just end up with a black eye.

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I hope that ONE DAY, just one day i can walk into a store and see Call of Duty MW5 or Halo 7 and it has "Linux" on the top of the case. The reason i referenced games that probably won't come out for another 42389572839 years is because Linux being welcomed with open arms into th gaming world with probably never happen. Thats what happens when a freeware operaring system tries to compete with the big corporations in gaming. I am a dedicated Linux user and i hope one day we won't need Wine or Crossover to play real games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by AnarchyTech View Post
    I hope that ONE DAY, just one day i can walk into a store and see Call of Duty MW5 or Halo 7 and it has "Linux" on the top of the case. The reason i referenced games that probably won't come out for another 42389572839 years is because Linux being welcomed with open arms into th gaming world with probably never happen. Thats what happens when a freeware operaring system tries to compete with the big corporations in gaming. I am a dedicated Linux user and i hope one day we won't need Wine or Crossover to play real games.
    I'd say we're making progress
    http://steamforlinux.com/
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    I'd say we're making progress
    http://steamforlinux.com/
    +1

I don't expect the impending release of Steam on linux to be a lightswitch that suddenly bathes us all in the light of gaming nerdvana, but I think it's an enormous step in the right direction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I dunno, I'm kind of thinking that Blizzard is watching the Steam for Linux release closely to see how well it pans out... I think id may come back to the fold too if it works out, and this time they'll do things RIGHT.
    Linux Gamer.
    Steam: rudeboyskunk
    Desura: rudeboyskunk
    Add me as a friend. Kill zombies/aliens/nazis with me. ON LINUX.

Beans

Blizzard Admits Linux User Was Wrongly Banned, Offers Refund
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Bli...und-49339.html

Beans
    Hidden!

As much as I like the good news the article (and all of them I have read from that site) is pathetic. I hope all those affected here on the forum get their accounts opened again (as for me, I might just go ahead and install D3 again, it ran really well the last time I tried it).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast