Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Blizzard bans linux community

Beans

Re: Blizzard bans linux community

Just to add my rather depressing story..

I've also been banned: I use(d) Play on Linux to get D3 working, but Blizzard have accused me of cheating... I'm not sure at what as I've never played a coooperative version of the game or used the Auction House.

They've provided no evidence or description of what 'unfair advantage' I had, nor have they responded to my request for a refund..

I've raised a 'consumer complaint' with the citizens advice bureau
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/report...ding_standards

I'm also considering going to the small claims court

They're accusation has really p****d me off

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by draki View Post
    Just to add my rather depressing story..

I've also been banned: I use(d) Play on Linux to get D3 working, but Blizzard have accused me of cheating... I'm not sure at what as I've never played a coooperative version of the game or used the Auction House.

They've provided no evidence or description of what 'unfair advantage' I had, nor have they responded to my request for a refund..

I've raised a 'consumer complaint' with the citizens advice bureau
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/report...ding_standards

They're accusation has really p****d me off
    I would ask blizzard to check the login ip addresses and see if there is a discrepancy (eg a login from another country) that might show someone has gained access to your account and used it for the wrong reason. My friend recently got banned, but I noticed he was online at a time he was normally at work. Turns out that when he wasnt on it, someone else was, and they were spamming a gold service. After he was banned, he asked about the IP addresses, which showed it was not him using the account.

I'm still playing D3, WoW and SC2 on Linux via Playonlinux, and no ban here (and I have been talking to a few gms lately with some account issues, so they know I'm on Linux).
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by draki View Post
    FWIW, that's not as easy as you might think. Not that you couldn't sue them in small claims court, but to do that, you have to file your lawsuit in their district. So, unless you live in or near Irvine, you'd have to travel to Irvine to sue them.

Beans

Are these bans mainly for Diablo III? Should I be worried about playing starcraft 2 under Wine? I haven't tried it on my new linux install yet, and now I'm not sure I want to. Losing a game I paid $60 for would suck!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ObiDamnKenobi View Post
    Are these bans mainly for Diablo III? Should I be worried about playing starcraft 2 under Wine? I haven't tried it on my new linux install yet, and now I'm not sure I want to. Losing a game I paid $60 for would suck!
    Again, for some reason, not all Linux users are getting banned (I'm still going just fine). There have been plenty of complaints from non-linux users too. At this stage, Blizzard have not said the bans were because people were using Linux, despite the fact that there is a history showing that they do acknowledge when they ban incorrectly in the past. I'm not satisfied personally that it's because of Linux or Wine, because I have been banned in the past when it was, and Blizzard issued a fix extremely quickly and notified me of the error. No such thing has happened here, and they have been banning people over the last six or seven months.
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345