Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard bans linux community

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Blizzard bans linux community

Ok, I'll concede, it's not looking good for Blizzard. I'll blame it om their merge with Activision.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I still wonder what would be setting off warden, considering we all have the same setup and only some people are getting banned. Wine wouldnt be responsible for this itself, there would have to be some sort of suspicious behaviour from a dll (after all, that's what Warden looks at).

I just can't understand why we are not all getting it (still playing wow and diablo 3 fine here, even some light sc2 gaming)
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've played SC2 since it's release, and wow for, well vanilla to cata, it's got to be d3 specific.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    I've played SC2 since it's release, and wow for, well vanilla to cata, it's got to be d3 specific.
    I've been playing D3 on Linux since it was launched (even have screenshots all over my Google+ account to prove it). Warden, the security software that looks for cheats is the same program for all 3 games.

Still, this also highlights why they failed so hard on D3. I mean, even if people wanted to cheat, who cares? It's supposed to be a single player game for the most part, it's not like your hacked gear does anything to anyone else (though I can see how the same thing could be bad for Wow and SC2).

Torchlight 2, it's what Diablo 3 should have been (and also works really well in Linux, including multiplayer).
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    They have a system that works well with Windows... the system that they officially support.

I can't blame them for not wanting to spend more money to cater for an OS they don't support. They are not banning out of malice, and they are being indifferent to your plight as they are not obliged to find a way to not make Linux trigger their watchdog...

Just wanted to throw out there, Blizzard makes an insane amount of money, I do not think that it is an issue porting to another OS, I think it is because they do not enjoy working with open source clients (not saying the would make WoW free.) I just think that they have the idea that if it is made on this OS then they would have a problem with people finding a way around paying/hacking it, often apart of the misconception that everyone who uses linux is a hacker XD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by valroadie View Post
    Just wanted to throw out there, Blizzard makes an insane amount of money, I do not think that it is an issue porting to another OS, I think it is because they do not enjoy working with open source clients (not saying the would make WoW free.) I just think that they have the idea that if it is made on this OS then they would have a problem with people finding a way around paying/hacking it, often apart of the misconception that everyone who uses linux is a hacker XD
    Yeah they make too much money, and I think they are pretty lazy nowadays when it comes to game design (most of the armor in MOP is redone old armor, or slightly modified models).

That being said, in the first set of bans back in July, Blizzard did say that the banned users were using WINE, but they were also running other stuff that was banned with it.

The thing is, there was a "i've been banned for using Linux" thing around three or four years ago, and they were very quick to admit that, and fixed it quickly. The fact that this hasnt happened with this set seems a little suspect to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have been playing wow on Linux for years and have never had a problem with my account. I have had friends play on my computer and they have never had problems with their accounts either. however, the warden program still makes me suspect due to the fact it may see something running on linux that is actually nothing.

I also agree that it seems to be limited to Diablo3. I have yet to play my copy on Linux, kinda worried to do so.

Beans

Level 35 Wizard here, playing using PlayOnLinux. No issues what so ever. Been playing since release.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by holastickboy View Post
    I've been playing D3 on Linux since it was launched (even have screenshots all over my Google+ account to prove it). Warden, the security software that looks for cheats is the same program for all 3 games.
    Warden still may have checks that are dependent on what game your running etc, also D3 may just have a particular bug in wine that catches wardens attention. I believe the issue definitely is limited to D3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've decided not to play WoW until they have a real Linux client. However, this is not anti-Blizzard, it is more pro-Linux. I've decided that since there are so many great games in Linux and coming to Linux (what with Steam and all), I have enough on my plate without needing to waste time on booting into Win7 and loading up WoW. This way I'm also spending all my cash on real Linux games. Of course, if Blizz comes out with a Linux version, I'll jump right back in.

On a side note, I was banned once from WoW for a week for using homophobic slurs in the trade chat (but I was just trolling and looking for outraged responses; I'm actually very anti-homophobic).
    Linux Gamer.
    Steam: rudeboyskunk
    Desura: rudeboyskunk
    Add me as a friend. Kill zombies/aliens/nazis with me. ON LINUX.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast