Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New server install partitioning for KVM host.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

New server install partitioning for KVM host.

Hey guys,

Im installing both Ubuntu Sever and CentOS on one of the drives in my test rig. Both will be set-up the same as hosts running VMs. Just want to get a feel of the differences of each and see which I like better.

I have 70GB spare on the drive which I will be dividing between the two. Thats after allocating space to the Swap area. I know its not much space but like I said, it's only to mess around with.

These are my first Linux server installs i've ever done and have no idea how the partitioning should go. I know for Desktop use it's usually just / and /home along with Swap but here i have no idea what the 'standard' is if there even is a standard. Or how much space is generally allocated to various partitions like /var etc... if those others are required.

So give I have 35GB for each install, how would I partition them?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: New server install partitioning for KVM host.

From my own experience the biggest difference you'll notice right away is that CentOs(.rpm-RedHat based) has a GUI where Ubuntu(.deb-Debian Based) does not. Heres a link for KVM that should give you more than I could explain
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    Hey guys,

Im installing both Ubuntu Sever and CentOS on one of the drives in my test rig. Both will be set-up the same as hosts running VMs. Just want to get a feel of the differences of each and see which I like better.

I have 70GB spare on the drive which I will be dividing between the two. Thats after allocating space to the Swap area. I know its not much space but like I said, it's only to mess around with.

These are my first Linux server installs i've ever done and have no idea how the partitioning should go. I know for Desktop use it's usually just / and /home along with Swap but here i have no idea what the 'standard' is if there even is a standard. Or how much space is generally allocated to various partitions like /var etc... if those others are required.

So give I have 35GB for each install, how would I partition them?

Thanks in advance.
    I just did a standard root partition, then have /var/lib/vz (where my qemu/kvm disk images are stored) on a on a LVM partition, so I could extend it later if I needed.

Really, there isn't any 'standard' to partitioning. Its more about your needs, and your plans for future growth.
    Last edited by sandyd; November 2nd, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Figuring out a design of the partition system is a major step for setting up a server. I also have found that you need to design your system to be flexible so you don't pigeon-hole yourself when the server starts taking on different roles as it goes.

Take a look in my sig for how I setup my Ubuntu Servers which has a large section that covers partitioning, LVM and long-term maintenance of space over time.

LHammonds

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chadk5utc View Post
    From my own experience the biggest difference you'll notice right away is that CentOs(.rpm-RedHat based) has a GUI where Ubuntu(.deb-Debian Based) does not. Heres a link for KVM that should give you more than I could explain
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM
    Yeh thats really why I'd like to try the difference between them. Thanks for the link.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    Really, there isn't any 'standard' to partitioning. Its more about your needs, and your plans for future growth.
    Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    Figuring out a design of the partition system is a major step for setting up a server. I also have found that you need to design your system to be flexible so you don't pigeon-hole yourself when the server starts taking on different roles as it goes.

Take a look in my sig for how I setup my Ubuntu Servers which has a large section that covers partitioning, LVM and long-term maintenance of space over time.

LHammonds
    Yeh thats pretty much what I've concluded.

Busy looking at your sig. now thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I just did a standard root partition, then have /var/lib/vz (where my qemu/kvm disk images are stored) on a on a LVM partition, so I could extend it later if I needed.
    So just / and /var/lib/vz will do? no /home?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So just / and /var/lib/vz will do? no /home?
    it depends on where your VMs reside - /var/lib/vz is a directory specific to Proxmox on Debian.

However, back to the question, there is no reason to create a seperate /home partition because /home is generally not used.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

it depends on where your VMs reside - /var/lib/vz is a directory specific to Proxmox on Debian.

However, back to the question, there is no reason to create a seperate /home partition because /home is generally not used.
    Thanks sandyd.

I already did the CentOS installation. I just made a /(10gb) and the rest of the space(26gb) a LVM partition. I haven't been able to boot it though as tge Grub menu doesn't seem to be loading. Does that seem to be good though?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks sandyd.

I already did the CentOS installation. I just made a /(10gb) and the rest of the space(26gb) a LVM partition. I haven't been able to boot it though as tge Grub menu doesn't seem to be loading. Does that seem to be good though?
    The setup seems to be good - you can grow the LVM onto more HDDs as more space is needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast