Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows focus and raise behaviour don't stick, Ubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Windows focus and raise behaviour don't stick, Ubuntu 12.10

After upgrading to 12.10 the focus and raise behaviour accessed through ccsm does not stick through a reboot. I've noticed this on several of my machines. I un-check the "raise on click" box but it resets after reboot.

I've been searching the forums but could not find any posts about this. Is there something I am missing? Is this not done through compiz any more?

Help appreciated!
    Thanks

Beans

Re: Windows focus and raise behaviour don't stick, Ubuntu 12.10

I'm having the exact same issue. Have you had any luck finding a solution?

Beans
    Distro

No unfortunately not.
    I found this post on askubuntu:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/64605...-follows-mouse
    however it only deals with the focus behaviour of the mouse. But for the raise behaviour of windows non of the solutions work.
    I installed gconf-editor but the options shown in the post is no longer there for windows.
    Gnome-tweak-tools does not have options for raising windows.

It is annoying. I will keep looking but it just seems gone for some reason.

EDIT:
    I looked around a bit more on askubuntu and found this post:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/14957...in-gnome-3-4-1
    and the solution worked for me.
    The tool to use was dconf-editor (seemed installed by default on my machine) and go to
    org>gnome>desktop>wm>preferences
    There I could pick edit raise on click.
    (Weird note. The check-box, after a reboot, is reset but the behaviour I want is still ok.)
    Last edited by -Sparx-; November 22nd, 2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: -Solution (not) found-

Beans

Angry Re: Windows focus and raise behaviour don't stick, Ubuntu 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by -Sparx- View Post
    After upgrading to 12.10 the focus and raise behaviour accessed through ccsm does not stick through a reboot.
    Actually most of my ccsm settings don't stick after a few reboots. I have exported them all, and need to reimport them up to 4 times in a row (yes, multiply import!!!) to get them back. In the file I have among many others

Code:
    [core]

s0_click_to_focus = false
    s0_raise_on_click = false
    This resolves my #1 hate-feature on Windows, and for years it's been a must-have on Linux! Just now I did a few reimports until it finally worked, and after just 5 minutes it stopped working again. The funny thing is, various settings break at different times. E.g. I configured many keybindings, usually the ones in Command dissappear first, whereas viewport navigation lasts a few days, and moving windows among viewports doesn't seem to have been broken before I decided to reimport my settings.

I first adopted Unity in 12/04, and being able to set these things was the minimum that made me accept this environment. Now it's so broken, I don't know where to go next...

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm... You are right. My solution have reset itself.
    I have been toying with the idea to install a Mint desktop environment just to try it out. However I kinda like Unity and have a bit of patience so I will hold on for a while and see if the solution presents itself, or if I could find anything else to try out. I am curious if we are a minority. I would have guessed that there would be a lot of affected users that got annoyed about this to get a quick fix.

PS: What "file" are you talking about?

Beans

I have the same problem, but I've been setting/resetting the focus and window raise behavior with dconf-editor (although ccsm is installed on my machine). I'm running 12.10 Unity.

Beans

I've been having this problem on a new installation of 12.10

The good news, assuming that it's the same thing, is that there is a bug filed for it and a fix released for 12.04. The bug says that they are working on a release for 12.10 as well

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1071950

Beans

I never had the problem in 12.04.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by parminides View Post
    I never had the problem in 12.04.
    Me neither. I am running 12.04 at work and don't see the same issues. My two Ubuntu machines at home run 12.10 and both have the same issue. The reason I haven't updated at work is this issue as I need less disturbed work-flow there.

About the filed bug. I didn't have gconf installed on my 12.10 machines at all (I think) before trying to solve the issue so I don't know why gconf settings would be involved at all.

Beans
    Distro

Hi again,
    Just looked over the bug report on launchpad and it seems that this should be fixed. However, I still have this problem and was wondering why this may be. Any input on fixing it would be great.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast