Thread: Low Graphics Mode on Boot-up

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Low Graphics Mode on Boot-up

I've had this problem before, but this is now occurring every morning. On the first boot-up of the day, the computer starts, begins showing the splash screen then suddenly changes to a black screen. This is followed by a window saying that I am running in Low Graphics Mode. The window offers 4 choices, none of which are available because the trackpad is non-functional.

Because I've been through this before http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2035818
    I attempt
    Code:
    sudo rm -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    I always get a message saying there is no such file.
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    which brings me to a console boot-up. Then I try
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm --full-restart
    which get me to a desktop. Unfortunately, about half of the time I am unable to log in as my username, but only as guest. I fix this with
    Code:
    sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
    which sometimes starts the entire cycle over.

The next morning, I go through this again. Is there some way I can fix this? What information can I provide?
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Low Graphics Mode on Boot-up

Additional information:

This afternoon I booted up my notebook again. Again it booted into Low Graphics Mode with the trackpad unresponsive, so this time I went straight to Crl-Alt-F1
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm --full-restart
    which brought me to a login screen that worked properly. That hasn't always been the case.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Go ahead and make sure your system is fully up to date. If you still experience the issue, use the restore process in the latest System76 Driver to fix the problem.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, isantop. I'm in the habit of installing updates as soon as they become available, so when I read your reply I found about 6 updates since yesterday. After installing them, I am getting a normal boot to desktop now although none of the updates appeared to affect the X system or Nvidia's driver. Puzzling to be sure; this is the first experience I've had with updates borking the desktop GUI then fixing them as a repeated occurrence.

Maybe this is why Linus got so upset with Nvidia, eh?

I'll go ahead and mark this "Solved" (fingers crossed).