Thread: Samba using ONLY tcp6 (IPV6) fail

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Samba using ONLY tcp6 (IPV6) fail

I think I have a problem with samba trying to use ONLY IPV6, and refusing connections because of it. Read on.

Over the past few months I have had a "connection refused" problem between my client machines and my home server [Ubuntu 10.04]. I somehow managed to get it back running each time. At one point, I thought it was something weird with the samba.conf, and I was making tweaks. But now I think that it was shutting things down and turning them back on until it worked.

As a result of Hurricane Sandy, I powered everything down. On restoring power, the problem occurred. Since I had already tweaked the samba config, I went looking elsewhere and found this VERY odd (to me) result:

Code:
    mark@ubuntu-server:~$ sudo netstat -apn | grep LISTEN | grep smb
    [sudo] password for mark: 
    tcp6       0      0 fe80::20c:f1ff:fe7f:445 :::*                    LISTEN      1169/smbd       
    tcp6       0      0 fe80::20c:f1ff:fe7f:139 :::*                    LISTEN      1169/smbd
    This didn't seem like it should be. Only tcp6? I stopped and restarted Samba. Same results.
    Code:
    tcp6       0      0 fe80::20c:f1ff:fe7f:445 :::*                    LISTEN      1169/smbd       
    tcp6       0      0 fe80::20c:f1ff:fe7f:139 :::*                    LISTEN      1169/smbd
    But, since the process # was the same, I think for some reason it did not properly stop and restart. IDK.

So I stopped and started the server.
    Logged back in, and then restarted samba. This time, I got:
    Code:
    tcp        0      0 172.16.0.104:445        0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      2456/smbd       
    tcp        0      0 172.16.0.104:139        0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      2456/smbd       
    tcp6       0      0 fe80::20c:f1ff:fe7f:445 :::*                    LISTEN      2456/smbd       
    tcp6       0      0 fe80::20c:f1ff:fe7f:139 :::*                    LISTEN      2456/smbd
    That looked better, and it worked better. Now all the machines are connecting again.

What is going on with Samba? Why is it trying to use only IPV6 addresses? And what should I do to prevent this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Samba using ONLY tcp6 (IPV6) fail

What's your samba version? (e.g. run testparm --version). I think this might be more of an issue at 3.5.8 and below.

Beans
    Distro

Have you heard of Samba doing this? I didn't find any reference to it - I found lots of reference to error 111, connection refused, but that is a completely different animal.

Beans
    Distro

There were some occasional references to such problems in a web search I did; most of my actual samba servers are redhat rather than ubuntu and IPv4 only, so I haven't run into the problem personally. The most typical workaround suggested was to be explicit about interfaces and v4 addresses, e.g. to adjust /etc/samba/smb.conf with:
    Code:
    bind interfaces only
    interfaces 127.0.0.1 www.xxx.yyy.zzz
    The general advice to people who actually want to use IPv6 with Samba seems to be doing that from version 3.6 or higher.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. I don't want the IPv6 addies. No need for them - this is an internal server. So I'll check the samba conf and update as you suggest. The problem has been intermittent - which itself is weird and points to some bug. Anyway, at least now I have some idea of what is going on when this happens. It may not be "solved" yet - but I know more than I did!

Beans
    Distro

I don't want the IPv6 addies
    Then sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1 might be your friend.

Dual-stack applications which bind() sockets with address family AF_INET6 but without setsockopt() option IPV6_IPV6ONLY can do mapped IPv4 (0::FFFF:a.b.c.d/128 ) from their v6 socket as well as native IPv6 (2000::/3) A buggy dual-stack samba might be trying to do that, but failing.