Thread: Accused as troll

Beans

Accused as troll

I have been accused by an email from elfy@ubuntu.com of being a troll. When I click on the link, my browser refuses to open the pop up window. I have now figured out it is in a message centre which I have been able to open.

I admit my post was ironical, it was not a troll post. I would like the point reversed. The messages doesn't explain the point system. Here's the message.

Dear Kevin McCready,

You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums.

Reason: Trolling.
    -------
    It wasn't ubuntu.com, it was an admin on ubuntuforums.

But instead of dealing with it as anyone else - you decided to go for a bit more trolling.

This infraction is set to never expire.

It is also Strike 1 of a 3 strike policy.

Strike 2 will be permanent 5 points and strike 3 will be a ban.

The only sensible way to address these things is in the Resolution Centre. Not in thread posts.
    -------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12329468
    Quote:
    I've been warned by ubuntu.com not to refer to google as evil. Far be it from me to ever ever do so again. Oh no. But to answer the question - I thought chromium was not Google. Since it went open source in 2008 I thought it wasn't google.

I use:
    Ubuntu 11.10
    Chromium (NOT GOOGLE CHROME) 18.0.1025.168 (Developer Build 134367 Linux)

All the best,
    Ubuntu Forums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Accused as troll

links for staff

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2078402
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2078820

someone else will be along to deal with this in due course

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McCready View Post
    I admit my post was ironical, it was not a troll post. I would like the point reversed.
    When you created an account on this forum you agreed to follow the Code of Conduct.

From the Code of Conduct:

Trolling, Attacks and Flaming: These are always forbidden.

Trolling is posting in a way that provokes emotional responses.
    Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them.

Flames are messages that personally attack or call any people names or otherwise harass. These, along with any generally condescending posts will be edited or removed at the moderators discretion.

If a thread is flame-bait (appears to be intended to start an argument or is likely to cause an argument rather than enhance discussion, as in trolling), it will be locked or removed without notice. Individual flame-bait comments in a post may be deleted or edited at the moderators' discretion.

If the thread turns into an argument, it can be closed to further comment or removed without notice. Sometimes a moderator may split the thread or delete certain portions in order to keep the discussion going, but that is not always possible since we are a staff of volunteers with limited time and numbers.
    Your post was derogatory and a violation of the Code of Conduct and as such I support the infraction being issued.

The messages doesn't explain the point system. Here's the message.
    The point system was explained in the infraction notification:

It is also Strike 1 of a 3 strike policy.

Strike 2 will be permanent 5 points and strike 3 will be a ban.
    Me on the web:

Beans

Fair enough. But let me note for the record, I've seen much more derogatory remarks, including some in permanent signature blocks.

Looks like the policy is applied inconsistently.

But of course I have to accept your rules even if they do limit my freedom of expression because you own the website, not me.

Fair enough. But let me note for the record, I've seen much more derogatory remarks, including some in permanent signature blocks.
    You can opt to report such violations by clicking this icon:

But of course I have to accept your rules even if they do limit my freedom of expression because you own the website, not me
    Limiting freedom of expression, no. Following the Code of Conduct, yes.

Here is a relevant part for your reference:

The purpose of the Ubuntu Forums is to provide support for Ubuntu. We also want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company. To achieve this, we strive to maintain an atmosphere that can be enjoyed by all and we ask all members of the community to be respectful at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness, gentleness and respect. If you do this, the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
    Me on the web: