Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenJDK where i can find documents for Java language.

Beans

OpenJDK where i can find documents for Java language.

I need to create a commercial java application, i have decided to use openjdk as it shoud be free for my use.

Where i can find and what sites oracle supports to learn openjdk programming.

I cant use oracle sites as they are only for non commercial use, when i read the terms of usage.

where i can study my java language to use openjdk commercial ways.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: OpenJDK where i can find documents for Java language.

Are you telling me you believe you cannot use Oracle's tutorials and study materials to learn Java because you will ultimately use what you have learned for a commercial purpose?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I'm with QIII... There should be no problem w/ using Oracle's java tutorial.

I have found that to be a VERY useful resource. Granted, I'm using it to for academic projects, but I think that's where almost everyone starts in order to apply the knowledge in business software later.

Another resource I've found helpful is JavaWorld

I'm interested to read further responses to see if I can use other peoples' suggested tutorial/reference sites.
    Kevin Harper
    http://www.kevinharper.com/

Ubuntu: Because rebooting is ONLY for installing hardware

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I believe you may have interpreted something incorrectly.

You CAN use Oracle's tutorials to learn Java.

You CAN use Oracle Java to create commercial products.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    You CAN use Oracle's tutorials to learn Java.
    You CAN use Oracle Java to create commercial products.
    That was good to read confirmed, still, can someone point me to some legal documents where i can myself read the same as written on previous message.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What on Earth leads you to believe that it is not legal? Thousands of programmers around the world use Oracle Java every day to create commercial products.

Google
    Code:
    where is Java used
    for some ideas.

You have misinterpreted something. Can you tell us where you got the impression that using Oracle Java for commercial purposes is not legal?

Beans

My friends said that i need a certification or need to buy a license, if i want to use oracle jdk.

They also said that i can use oracle tutorials and documents only for non commercial purposes, unless i have an license or certification.

I am not a pro or neither are my friends.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by jaho22 View Post
    My friends said that i need a certification or need to buy a license, if i want to use oracle jdk.

They also said that i can use oracle tutorials and documents only for non commercial purposes, unless i have an license or certification.
    IANAL but your friends are mistaken.

Java Tutorial
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutori...n/license.html

The material is copyright; there are restrictions on what you are permitted to do with the material itself. However, it is intended "as an aid to learning about the Java SE platform". There are no restrictions on what you are permitted to do with the knowledge you have acquired.

The same applies to other online Oracle materials. You may read them without restriction on your use of the acquired knowledge.

Java
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...nse/index.html

There are restrictions on the use of "Commercial Features". In order to use these, a license must be purchased. These "Commercial Features" are listed in Table 1-1 here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ons-397069.pdf

However, apart from that small set of features, the standard free license permits you to use Java in a commercial product.

Certification might improve your jobs prospects, but it is by no means a requirement for using Java in a commercial setting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If you are asking us where to learn how to learn to use OpenJDK to create a commercial software opening, you are in way over your head.

With that said, you can still use the Java language API documentation hosted on Oracle's site as well as point potential clients to Oracle's JRE.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans

There were a following lines on license - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...nse/index.html

A. COMMERCIAL FEATURES. You may not use the Commercial Features for running Programs, Java applets or applications in your internal business operations or for any commercial or production purpose, or for any purpose other than as set forth in Sections B, C, D and E of these Supplemental Terms. If You want to use the Commercial Features for any purpose other than as permitted in this Agreement, You must obtain a separate license from Oracle.

H. COMMERCIAL FEATURES NOTICE. For purpose of complying with Supplemental Term Section C.(v)(b) and D.(v)(b), your license agreement shall include the following notice, where the notice is displayed in a manner that anyone using the Software will see the notice:
    Use of the Commercial Features for any commercial or production purpose requires a separate license from Oracle. “Commercial Features” means those features identified Table 1-1 (Commercial Features In Java SE Product Editions) of the Java SE documentation accessible at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ion/index.html

Im sorry for being a newbie, this is a license for oracle java, what about the openjdk tutorials and binary ?

I am about reading and studying these licenses about my first times, thanks for help.
    Last edited by jaho22; November 4th, 2012 at 01:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast