Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ext3 Partition on microSD card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question ext3 Partition on microSD card

First of all, not sure if this is in the right category...

Now, my actual issue: I've got a 4GB PNY brand microSDHC card which I'm trying to put an ext3 partition on, but GParted and mkfs.ext3 keep giving me errors. In fact, the card -- for what reason, I'm not sure -- will not let me create a Linux partition of any type (ext2,ext3,ext4). However, it does let my create FAT16 and FAT32 partitions on it.

The card is being read via the microSD to SD card adapter that it came with, and that in turn is being put into my laptop's in-built 3-in-1 card reader.

If it makes any difference, the laptop's card reader is supposed to supprt SD cards, xD cards, and Sony Memory Sticks, but will only read SD cards within Ubuntu, and fails to work in Windows 7, both issues most likely down to a lack of drivers.

Finally, the log that GParted gave me upon the error is attached to this post, along with the output mkfs.ext3 gives upon execution. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Re: ext3 Partition on microSD card

Quote Originally Posted by NJPinator View Post
    First of all, not sure if this is in the right category...

Now, my actual issue: I've got a 4GB PNY brand microSDHC card which I'm trying to put an ext3 partition on, but GParted and mkfs.ext3 keep giving me errors. In fact, the card -- for what reason, I'm not sure -- will not let me create a Linux partition of any type (ext2,ext3,ext4). However, it does let my create FAT16 and FAT32 partitions on it.

The card is being read via the microSD to SD card adapter that it came with, and that in turn is being put into my laptop's in-built 3-in-1 card reader.

If it makes any difference, the laptop's card reader is supposed to supprt SD cards, xD cards, and Sony Memory Sticks, but will only read SD cards within Ubuntu, and fails to work in Windows 7, both issues most likely down to a lack of drivers.

Finally, the log that GParted gave me upon the error is attached to this post, along with the output mkfs.ext3 gives upon execution. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Simply put a micro sd controller is designed for fat 16 (up to 2gig) or the high density (class 10) fat 32 file system for the larger storage cards not ext3 or ext4 .
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: ext3 Partition on microSD card

So what's the issue? Is the task impossible? My microSD is a Class 4, and is 4GB. Also, what do you mean by the "controller"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: ext3 Partition on microSD card

Quote Originally Posted by Bobhuber View Post
    Simply put a micro sd controller is designed for fat 16 (up to 2gig) or the high density (class 10) fat 32 file system for the larger storage cards not ext3 or ext4 .
    You are totally incorrect. The controller reads and writes sectors, it could care less what format you use for your file system.

I've used an ext3 partition in my Android phone in the past to extend the local program storage. It's not hard.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: ext3 Partition on microSD card

Correction appreciated, Slim Odds, but that doesn't really aid me in any way, it just proves that it's possible. :/ Still stuck here as to how to get the partition created.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It's possible that GParted didn't create the partition right. Try using another utility like cfdisk or sfdisk to create the partition, then mkfs to format it. You could also try to format with xfs (needs package xfsprogs) which is a fully Linux-compatible fs but does not follow the same design principles as ext2/3/4.

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: ext3 Partition on microSD card

GParted works just fine. That's what I used for the ext3 partition that I used for my Nexus One.
    Just remember that you have to create the partition first (with the correct type, ext3) and then format it (mkfs.ext3). Or use whatever type that you want.
    Last edited by Slim Odds; November 1st, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: ext3 Partition on microSD card

I had initially used fdisk to create a Linux partition on the disk, and then mkfs.ext3 to format it. GParted was my second resort to getting this partition created. I'll post back tomorrow with a full log of the commands, if need be. For now, I'm still scratching my head over this. I really can't see what the problem is, myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well by Googling a little you, especially with the error "Warning, had trouble writing out superblocks", you can find that you are not alone, others have experienced exactly the same problem. Typically it's solved by getting another brand of microSD card. Sucks
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1931432
    Last edited by LewisTM; November 2nd, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans
    Distro

Well, that's a little annoying...so my only option is to buy another card?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast