Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Force Quit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Force Quit

I use a very slow old laptop to run my ubuntu system and frequently have problems with unresponsive applications. In Mac OSX there is a force quit menu that you can open to terminate any application, using a keyboard shortcut. The only similar application that I can find in ubuntu is system monitor and I cannot find how to add a keyboard shortcut for it. I have had several incidents where the entire system freezes and I can do anything except crash using the power button. Does anybody know of anything that might help? Perhaps something similar to windows Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Cheers,
    Jack

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Force Quit

Quote Originally Posted by beanstalker View Post
    I use a very slow old laptop to run my ubuntu system and frequently have problems with unresponsive applications. In Mac OSX there is a force quit menu that you can open to terminate any application, using a keyboard shortcut. The only similar application that I can find in ubuntu is system monitor and I cannot find how to add a keyboard shortcut for it. I have had several incidents where the entire system freezes and I can do anything except crash using the power button. Does anybody know of anything that might help? Perhaps something similar to windows Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Cheers,
    Jack
    right click a panel, select add to panel. select the force quit application and add it to the panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Brilliant! That´s perfect, Thanks!

Beans

It's called REISUB (one of the mnemonics is Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring). Press in this order and give 2-3 seconds of interval between them
    Alt + SysRq + R <-- tries to get keyboard back
    Alt + SysRq + E <-- term signal
    Alt + SysRq + I <-- kill signal
    Alt + SysRq + S <-- synchronizes filesystems
    Alt + SysRq + U <-- unmount and mounts filesystems in read-only mode
    Alt + SysRq + B <-- reboot

SysRq is the Print screen button (in some laptops you may need to press Fn at the same time)

This will give you a safe reboot. You can use Alt + SysRq + O in the end for shutdown instead of reboot.

Edit: upps, I'm back from the time when Ctr + Alt + Del was mostly used twice to reboot windows instead of killing just an application. Ignore the post then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Do you have to go through all of the commands or can you stop at some point if the system restabilises?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi beanstalker. You can get the ubuntu cheatsheet here.http://fosswire.com/2008/04/22/ubuntu-cheat-sheet/
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Hidden!

You may find this useful: Press "Alt +F2" and type "xkill" then just click on whatever you want to close

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] Force Quit

Ok, I just had a go at using the REISUB method and it seemed to work until it began the reboot. It restarted up to the point where it shows a blank white screen similar to just after you log in but before the desktop loads. It got totally stuck there, I left for about 10mins as I know my laptop is very slow, but in the end I had to crash using the power button again. Is there a set of commands needed to make it load?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

type in terminal killall nameoftheprocess

Or if u want instant logout press ctrl+alt+backspace
    what is beautiful is not always good, but what is good is always beautiful!
    When I'm right no one remembers..When I'm wrong no one forgets..

Beans

Do you have to go through all of the commands or can you stop at some point if the system restabilises?
    Yes, you can stop in the middle of the combination. Take a look at wikipedia's page about it.
    Ok, I just had a go at using the REISUB method and it seemed to work until it began the reboot. It restarted up to the point where it shows a blank white screen similar to just after you log in but before the desktop loads. It got totally stuck there, I left for about 10mins as I know my laptop is very slow, but in the end I had to crash using the power button again. Is there a set of commands needed to make it load?
    What do you mean by a set of commands to make it load? Anyway, the blank screen that you got is not normal at all and the REISUB thing is something that one will rarely need. You're basically sending orders directly to the kernel (and by the way, the kernel is what should be called Linux, not the pack of software that comes with a distro) and if even if everything else is frozen, the kernel should still answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast