Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sick and tired of crashes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Sick and tired of crashes

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I would never use or recommend LMDE, especially not to someone looking for stability, since it is based on Debian TESTING. Please phrase your recommendations as your own rather than piggy-backing them onto someone else's post, thanks.
    Sorry, I deleted the quotation. About the stability, first, Debian Testing isn't really unstable, maybe for servers, but for a desktop/workstation IMO it isn't. Second, LMDE doesn't provide exactly a mirror to Debian Testing's repos, they just provide packages tested by Mint's staff and developers and provide them with Update Packs... Which is a bit odd for me, I don't understand it, but it'd be more stable than an standard Debian Testing. So basically I recommend LMDE over Debian Testing because of this, but I recommend Debian Stable over LMDE if you need a rock-solid and ultra-stable distro (e.g., servers).
    Apologies again!
    Catbuntu (blog)
    CPU→Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz. RAM3GB. Graphics card→NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. O.S.→Ubuntu 14.04 «Trusty Tahr» 64 bit
    [TPI Blog | TPI GitHub ]

Beans

I didn't realize that's how they worked the repos. Maybe I'll give it another try someday.

(edited my previous post to sound a little friendlier, sorry!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I didn't realize that's how they worked the repos. Maybe I'll give it another try someday.

(edited my previous post to sound a little friendlier, sorry!)
    No problem! At least that's what I understood, some years ago LMDE's repos were a mirror of Debian Testing, more or less. Recently they added that odd Update Pack thing, and lots of LMDE users now use Debian Testing repos instead of LMDE's because of this. But doing that can broke your system due to some mint-specific dependencies, so I don't recommend to do that (also I think it has no sense, installing drivers and plugins on Debian just takes a few minutes).
    Catbuntu (blog)
    CPU→Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz. RAM3GB. Graphics card→NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. O.S.→Ubuntu 14.04 «Trusty Tahr» 64 bit
    [TPI Blog | TPI GitHub ]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu is that good, that if you get (so many) crashes, you should think of hardware that is faulty. Someone mentioned a failing power supply, you might also check the memory (RAM), you can use the LiveCD for that.

You can also check whether your hard disk is still OK, using the Disk Utility, and see what S.M.A.R.T. has to say.

Even the new 12.10 already runs quite well on the computer on which I have it installed. STOTA (State of the art), but very stable.

You should think of hardware.

Topsiho

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you overclocking your system?
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

I did the hardware test. S.M.A.R.T over all assessment test shows DISK is OK and didn't had any issues at all in 12.04. It only started after upgrading to 12.10. Anyways, I have done some repairs and reinstallation of packages and for now it is running and if nothing happens till Friday than its good otherwise I am going to make a fresh install for 12.10. Thanks everyone and will post further on upcoming Friday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12