Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: steps in bisecting the kernel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: steps in bisecting the kernel

The git bisect start step gives the confused state, that I am pretty sure is a kernel.org kernel, which wouldn't have the ./debian/rules file and needs to be compiled via different methods (not working for me). However, if you just tell it "git bisect good", it will proceed to the next step, and the ./debian/rules file will be there. If that could be made to compile, then contining should be possible. Yes, it is unclear if that is the actual correct direction to proceed, but it wouldn't take long to try the end points (i.e. good, good, good ... from this point only building the last one and bad, bad, bad... from the same point, only building the last one)

Edit: As a sanity check I downloaded and compiled 3.2.0-32.51, the current 12.04 kernel. It compiled fine, although it took a few minutes longer than in the past.
    Last edited by Doug S; November 5th, 2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: added something

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    ... However, if you just tell it "git bisect good", it will proceed to the next step, and the ./debian/rules file will be there. If that could be made to compile...
    That does indeed add the rules and other files, but the actual compilation has a metric buttload of y/n/m queries and then ultimately fails to compile and aborts with an error.

Code:
    make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/foo/ubuntu-natty'
    make: *** [/home/foo/ubuntu-natty/debian/stamps/stamp-build-generic] Error 2

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Grrr.

/home/foo/ubuntu-natty/arch/x86/pci/xen.c:428:1: fatal error: closing dependency file arch/x86/pci/.xen.o.d: No space left on device
    compilation terminated.

That's all the space I have on that machine. The only other partition is a smallish swap partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    That does indeed add the rules and other files, but the actual compilation has a metric buttload of y/n/m queries and then ultimately fails to compile and aborts with an error.

Code:
    make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/foo/ubuntu-natty'
    make: *** [/home/foo/ubuntu-natty/debian/stamps/stamp-build-generic] Error 2
    I get the same as you. I tried both accepting defaults for the tons of configure questions and answering "no" to all of them. What I do not like with the compile method is that the error exit doesn't really tell us anything about why.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123