Thread: After going through the compatibility list, still confuse which laptop I should buy

Beans

Talking After going through the compatibility list, still confuse which laptop I should buy

Hi, everyone

I want to buy a laptop for ubuntu.
    I have check http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/
    It contains brands and models which are compatible with ubuntu. However, a lot of them are out of production, and even they are still in the market, they usually have a better and cheaper new replacement from the company . I think the reason is the product comes out too fast to get into this list.

So. I am still confusing which one I should buy. In this list, lenovo thinkpad series and dell have the most certified product for ubuntu. I also check the forum, it seems that lenovo T series is a good choice. But I don't like the style of T series, and it's expensive.

I want to go to Dell. The list gave me the impression that almost all the product from Dell support ubuntu. I guess even for the new product that isn't in the list, if they have similar components as the ones in the list, they are supposed to works fine , is that true ?

After install Ubuntu, I most concern the following issue: (1) it have sound, I can play music (2) the video card work fine , I can play movie (3)I most concern: I can adjust the brightness by the hot key in the keyboard,

Anybody know which model fulfill my above requirement? how about the dell alienware m14X(Can I adjust the brightness) ? and other similar model?

Sorry for writing too much , I really want a ubuntu running fine on my system. I will be very appreciated if you can give me some suggestion.

Thanks

Beans

Re: After going through the compatibility list, still confuse which laptop I should b

The Thinkpad Edge series has good compatibility with Ubuntu. It has some of the features of the T series with a "nicer" look. The Dell Xps 13 was chosen by Dell for their Ubuntu developer laptop, so I assume they have reasonable compatibility. Look into the Sputnik project for more info about that.
    Last edited by kow777; October 31st, 2012 at 07:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: After going through the compatibility list, still confuse which laptop I should b

Dell 17rSE working great once I got Bumblebee going.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kow777 View Post
    The Thinkpad Edge series has good compatibility with Ubuntu. It has some of the features of the T series with a "nicer" look. The Dell Xps 13 was chosen by Dell for their Ubuntu developer laptop, so I assume they have reasonable compatibility. Look into the Sputnik project for more info about that.
    Thanks , kow777. I have check them. I think dell xps 13 is expensive for me. I may go for the lenovo e series.

I think E430 and E530 are better choice than E535 which used AMD cpu and graphic. What do you guys think?
    Thanks
    Last edited by richardljy; October 31st, 2012 at 07:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Two things you can do to help determine compatibility:

Check the model here

And I think a bigger consideration is video compatibility

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you don't wish to deal with proprietary drivers then Intel graphic laptop makes best sense and value, laptops like the ASUS K53E work right out of the box with either 12.01 or 12.10 and no tweaks or driver installs are needed.

Beans

Thanks to all the responses. I just got a lenovo E530 several days ago.

Everything is working correctly right out of the box. Even I use the live-cd of ubuntu, amazingly, the brightness key, sound key, sound, etc. works fine.

After I install Ubuntu 12.10, I am very pleased that everything is ready. My job is enjoy it .

One problem is : the ubuntu broken suddenly once, I don't know why . Then I use my backup cd for windows 7 to restore, it format my whole disk ! And asking me to insert other disk which I didn't have( I am confused their backup software in windows, so I didn't know I need to make so many backup disk) . I have to ask lenovo to send me the recovery disk , they react so quickly, I receive 4 disk the next day. Good services !

I just install a new ubuntu now together with windows 7 pro, everything is fine since then.