Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.10 LiveCD on USB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question 12.10 LiveCD on USB?

Hi all - so now that the ISO image exceeds a CD capacity, how do I try the LiveCD before installing?

I don't have a DVDR / RW, I do have a USB stick, and I don't have a Windows install to use any of the linuxpendrive exe type applications.

Is there a quick an easy how-to? Does the procedure involve installing the full OS to the USB drive and booting from there (which would cause a problem as my USB isnt big enough) or can I boot into the ISO on the USB stick?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 12.10 LiveCD on USB?

What do you have ?

Do you have an existing Ubuntu install from which you can run Startup Disk Creator ? Failing that try unetbootin.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro

I have 11.10... I didnt know startup disk creator existed or what it did!

Will give that a lash and see how I get one, thank you!

Beans
    Distro

Startup Disk Creator will create a Live USB just like having a Live CD, with an added benefit in that you have the option to set a persistance file, this means you can save files and settings to the Live USB.

Beans

I prefer the MultiSystem utility available from http://liveusb.info which lets me also have Parted Magic, including Clonezilla, ready to make regular disk/partition backups.

But I wonder if it's advisable (and how) to upgrade Ubuntu using Live USB.
    I tried grub options maybe-ubiquity and even only-ubiquity but I can never see that screen with several installation options, including a system upgrade.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sadi58 View Post
    but I can never see that screen with several installation options, including a system upgrade.
    Not sure I follow what you mean, you need to boot the computer with the Live USB.

You may want to open a new thread if you are drifting off the OPs topic.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sadi58 View Post
    I prefer the MultiSystem utility available from http://liveusb.info which lets me also have Parted Magic, including Clonezilla, ready to make regular disk/partition backups.

But I wonder if it's advisable (and how) to upgrade Ubuntu using Live USB.
    I tried grub options maybe-ubiquity and even only-ubiquity but I can never see that screen with several installation options, including a system upgrade.
    Am not trying to upgrade using Live USB, just to test 12.10 works with my hardware. I'd previously tried upgrading this particular machine via the software updaterupgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 (without a LiveCD test first) only to wind up turning the computer into an elaborate paperweight - am not making that mistake again.

I used StartupDisk Creator on my USB but when I try booting into it I'm getting a startup error - any ideas?

Beans

I too, am trying to test Kubuntu 12.10 from the liveUSB flash drive thingy. Even though I set my BIOS to start from USB drive before the HDD, It boots straight from my HDD. I don't have Windows installed on my machine, and the USB flashdrive won't boot. I used the Start-up disk creator on Kubuntu 12.04.

This is the same problem you're having, except you're trying Ubuntu 12.10. Am I correct, aquascrotum?

Beans
    Distro

I've often had USB sticks that won't boot when using Startup Disk Creator.

I find that using Unetbootin instead give me far better results.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I did this very thing a couple of days ago, and like with previous Ubuntu versions, I found the pendrivelinux.com site to be invaluable.

They provide a Universal USB Installer that will create a bootable USB stick using whatever ISO image file you point it to.

I did this with 12.10 and used it in "liveUSB" mode without problems. I also later installed from the same USB stick.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 17.3; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast