Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [LXDE] Need support with this spin I am making

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Wink [LXDE] Need support with this spin I am making

Hello people reading this,

You may have already known me as the developer of LPinguy. That is the proof to show you that I can do things good enough and worth your help.

First, here are some pictures and a video of the spin of Lubuntu 12.04 I am making.About

The design focuses on many Ubuntu-liked features such as Appmenu or Globalmenu, Window buttons, Maximus to remove titles, familiar indicators, chameleon notification, xcompmgr, conky, synapse and of course, the ease customizing and doing stuff.

The core of this spin is LXDE, making it lighter than many distros out there including Ubuntu.

The goal is to add more features to LXDE, or Lubuntu 12.04 in particular, to encourage Linux spirit in traditional desktop--light-weight, out of the box, and user-friendly. I have nothing against any other distros and I am just doing and sharing what I like.

Help-wanted

At the time, the spin is being built. I'm willing to receive non-financial help such as ideas, how-tos, and comments. I am an amateur so any advice from you will count. If you want to join the project, to spend more time on it, send me a message. When the number of messages gets quite a few, I will send out an Alpha. Otherwise, I will only release the spin one time as Final version.

Update #1

Added description on what I did to create the spin http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...29&postcount=5

+ 5 Nov 2012: fix for xcompmgr and how-to on LXDE key-binding.
    + 6 Nov 2012: upgrade to PCManFM's latest version.
    Last edited by vanlong441; November 6th, 2012 at 03:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: [LXDE] Need support with this spin I am making

updated.

Beans

I watched the video. Its nice.
    Did you respin Lubuntu or started with the mini.iso and built it? If you have used the mini.iso, did you install install Lubuntu-Desktop, or just LXDE? Or used Lubuntu and added applications, wallpapers, conky and tweaked it a bit?

The core of this spin is LXDE, making it lighter than many distros out there including Ubuntu.

The goal is to add more features to LXDE, or Lubuntu 12.04 in particular,
    Is that conky your work?

Regards!

Ch

PS: I've done something like this; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2074141
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 3rd, 2012 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I read that thread of yours before making the spin It gave me some inspiration to actually try to work with LXDE.

The spin is Lubuntu 12.04 remixed. I choose not to use mini iso or install lubuntu-desktop for Lubuntu devs have already done a good job compiling their distro and I want to take advantage of it. This spin of my is modification of Lubuntu 12.04.

You can read more about what I've done to it in Update #1, first post.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Updated how to fix shadows when using xcompmgr. Refer to Update #1, post #1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanlong441 View Post
    I read that thread of yours before making the spin It gave me some inspiration to actually try to work with LXDE.

The spin is Lubuntu 12.04 remixed. I choose not to use mini iso or install lubuntu-desktop for Lubuntu devs have already done a good job compiling their distro and I want to take advantage of it. This spin of my is modification of Lubuntu 12.04.

You can read more about what I've done to it in Update #1, first post.
    Very nice, indeed!
    I've seen your work before.

When are you planning to upload it?
    Good luck pal!

Edit: If you are going to upload it, are you going to take off the Lubuntu branding?
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 5th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Very nice, indeed!
    I've seen your work before.

When are you planning to upload it?
    Good luck pal!

Edit: If you are going to upload it, are you going to take off the Lubuntu branding?
    Not anytime soon for now it's only an one-man show. Patches/Fixes I added were limited to what I encountered during using the spin in daily work and whose solutions I could find on the internet. I will need a team if I want to brand this spin away from Lubuntu (for the forum, serious support and other stuff). Hopefully it is a couple of weeks from now until the first release. Once again, it depends on the response from community. The more people care about it, the more careful I should be, the longer it will take to release something. Otherwise, it will be fast and I can just release it anytime I feel like.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Looks good!

Beans

I have my GnomeUnity Remix 13.04 Raring, which built from 12.10 mini.iso. I added Gnome-shell, then Unity. I also installed the kernel 3.7 rc2. Later, I installed KDE, but after while I uninstalled it, but kept some apps. There is no time to learn how KDE works. I had remixing Lubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu to 13.04 and 3.7 rc2, but I liked my own built GnomeUnity.

I didn't install Ubuntu-desktop, Gnome-desktop or Lubuntu-desktop, only Gnome-shell, Unity and now, after reading your posts, I thought of installing Lxde. It was about 11 MB download. All the apps from Gnome-shell and Unity are there, together with some Lxde apps. Boy, how fast this Lxde desktop works!

The Gnome shell and Unity DE works fast too, much faster than in Ubuntu. Now, my remix becomes GnomeUnityLxde!

I am wondering, whether to install Xfce too.

There is no Ubuntu, Lubuntu logo anywhere, except in the icons, which can be changed. There are no Ubuntu wallpapers, except the old warty. Building from mini.iso is better, as you don't have much to rebrand.

Some screenshots. I changed wallpapers for each, but didn't add one for Lxde, for you to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

It looks like you've installed the Unity panel. Can you autohide that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast