Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World of Warcraft REPEATEDLY crashing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: World of Warcraft REPEATEDLY crashing.

We need to know what Graphics Hardware you're running (I.E. Ati/AMD, Nvidia, Intel, whatever)

And (only if NOT Intel) what driver version you have

Are you running in "-opengl" mode or just D3D?

One thing you may want to try first is a WoW repair running the Repair.exe file in the WoW folder (where ever you have it installed)(you may have a bad file in there)
    Ex:
    Code:
    env WINEPREFIX=/home/<username>/.wine wine "C:/Program Files(x86)/World of Warcraft/Repair.exe"
    Last edited by cwwilson721; October 31st, 2012 at 01:38 AM.
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans

I'm using an Nvidia 8800 GTX, it was at the bottom of the error msg. The driver version, is I believe; 304.54 or something like that. I do not know if it's in OpenGL or D3D, is there a way of telling? World of Warcraft doesn't have a repair tool any more as well, they incorporated it into the launcher when Cataclysm hit.

EDIT: I believe it's running in D3d9 mode.
    Last edited by xelab1090; October 31st, 2012 at 06:03 PM.

Beans

Alright, got it running in OpenGL mode, it looks like poop but there's no other option right now! The servers are shutting down for maintenance, which is weird since it's a wednesday, but what ever, got it working. I was having to type in the terminal to load it though. Is there a way I can run it in OpenGL just by clicking on the icon rather than having to use the terminal?

EDIT: Was in Orgrimmar and running in OpenGL mode and got another error, since the other server I have characters on was still up, saying it "Failed to read file from local". It's a texture loading issue, too, I know it is. When I cast to use my mount the cast bar was just a green line, and when I was on my mount my character completely disappeared. I look at all the things that failed to load, they're all textures or texture.mpq...
    Last edited by xelab1090; October 31st, 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Still don't know the hardware you are using.

**Personally, I prefer "running" (and in my case, faster than Windows) than "pretty"

If I can see it, I can kill it. If I cannot see it, no matter how good it looks, it can kill me. ** /endrant about opengl
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans

I'm using...

Intel e5200 Dual Core Processor clocked at 2.5Ghz
    4Gb of DDR2 800 RAM
    500Gb 7200 RPM HDD
    NVIDIA 8800GTX 768mb with current drivers installed.
    Intel P5KPL-CM motherboard
    500W BFG PSU
    CD Optical Drive
    Case(not that it matters) Antec 300

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xelab1090 View Post
    I'm using...

Intel e5200 Dual Core Processor clocked at 2.5Ghz
    4Gb of DDR2 800 RAM
    500Gb 7200 RPM HDD
    NVIDIA 8800GTX 768mb with current drivers installed.
    Intel P5KPL-CM motherboard
    500W BFG PSU
    CD Optical Drive
    Case(not that it matters) Antec 300
    Your video hardware is technically the same as mine. The processor difference is almost a wash, so I mostly expect the same FPS as my setup. However, mine has been "optimized" over MANY years (since Vanilla, and the great mass wine boot from Blizzard). All in all, it should do OK. Not great in 25+ mans, but doable.

That is what I was wondering (the part in red above), along with manufacturer/chip of the video.

Are the drivers the ones from Ubuntu? or from Nvidia?

It does make a difference.

And what version?

The questions I am asking are to help you out. Different versions from different sources create different outcomes. Some from Nvidia don't have the needed "support" files for Ubuntu to correctly 'translate' the wine D3D calls to opengl and let them render in hardware. On the same token, there are some Ubuntu packaged drivers that seem to be lacking something, and causing issues with wine and WoW.

(All of the above is EXTREMELY simplistic. But, at a certain level, true. I feel the "troll alert" about to sound off. But let's help the OP first, then carry on the discussion afterwards, AFTER he gets to kill some 'toons in WoW)
    Last edited by cwwilson721; October 31st, 2012 at 09:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

As an addendum to the above:

I am currently waiting on hardware for my cable/internet, and am stuck for the time being, on a GPRS phone tether for my internet, and as such, no WoW, or any patches since MoP .

As such, I'll try to help as much as possible, but may have to rely on the OP and others in this GREAT community (no disrespect at all. It's TRULY how I feel) to help out with actual results.

Remember, WoW/wine changes every patch. Remember the hardware "debuff" between WotLK and Cata? Let's see how this turns out

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Add this to your config.wtf file to improve performance even further

SET gxApi “opengl”
    SET ffxDeath “0″
    SET ffxGlow “0″

Reduces quality, but can significantly improve frame rate. Use a questing mod such as carbonite or tomtom to guide you to quests on map (wow has a bug in which characters are not rendered on maps to show your location).

Edit: if you are running x64 Linux, you can run x64 WoW, which can increase your performance significantly (allows WoW to use more than 2GB of RAM). Just be sure to apt-get install wine64 first, then you can do wine64 Wow-64.exe. That adds a lot of performance for me!
    Last edited by holastickboy; November 1st, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans

I got it working, a little bit. I did LFR on my priest and it crashed a couple times when I first got in there due to the textures not loading properly, but once I logged in the third time I stayed in game until I got bored and decided to log after doing both halves of LFR, about 3 hours. Right now I'm getting about 15-20 FPS in LFR, but I don't care, I'm running WoW in Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by holastickboy View Post
    Add this to your config.wtf file to improve performance even further

SET gxApi “opengl”
    SET ffxDeath “0″
    SET ffxGlow “0″

Reduces quality, but can significantly improve frame rate. Use a questing mod such as carbonite or tomtom to guide you to quests on map (wow has a bug in which characters are not rendered on maps to show your location).

Edit: if you are running x64 Linux, you can run x64 WoW, which can increase your performance significantly (allows WoW to use more than 2GB of RAM). Just be sure to apt-get install wine64 first, then you can do wine64 Wow-64.exe. That adds a lot of performance for me!
    Actually, that is not needed (wine64). a "fresh" wine1.5 installs as 64bit (if running 64 bit Ubuntu), with an option to run 32bit.

By default, any prefixes made are 64bit. If you want (or the Win prog says you HAVE TO) run a 32bit wine, just (in terminal when you create the prefix):
    Code:
    export WINEARCH=win32
    export WINEPREFIX=<wherever you want it>
    winecfg
    The above will create the 32bit wine folder, install the gecko stuff and a few other things, and away you go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast