Power supply:
    Corsair 600W

Storage:
    Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB SH103S3/120G

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: New PC build give your opinion

Looks good - I'd double the RAM, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'd agree with the above poster, ccrs8, but tell you to go even further. Load up on as much RAM as possible. The Asus M5a97 Am3+ can hold 32gb of RAM. That's a bit overkill, of course, but I'd go with a minimum of 8GB, probably closer to 12 or 16GB. RAM is luckily rather inexpensive to stock up on.

Edit: I typically dual-boot Ubuntu with Windows in order to play games or other *******-specific applications. That's the biggest reason for a RAM increase in my opinion, especially if you have to use a laptop, which can struggle in other areas.
    Last edited by LemonLime; October 30th, 2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: mag1strate makes a good point

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unless he is running really intensive stuff, I doubt increasing the RAM would give much more of a performance hike.

I really like the *770 series for ATI cards, they are the perfect balance of cost, energy, and performance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

At the moment the only game I play is league of legends. Probably the most demanding things I'll be doing is having a couple of virtual machines running and maybe some amateurish Photoshop session every so often.

I have done the dual boot thing for the last ~4 years. Now I'm going to use Windows as the base OS, a Wintendo that we'll run LoL only; and I'll have a virtual machine running Ubuntu where I'll do my actual work.
    Last edited by Diabolis; October 30th, 2012 at 02:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mag1strate View Post
    Unless he is running really intensive stuff, I doubt increasing the RAM would give much more of a performance hike.

I really like the *770 series for ATI cards, they are the perfect balance of cost, energy, and performance.
    But with the low price of ram any more, why not just buy as much as your budget allows. Personally I would suggest at least 8 gb, especially if you are going to use any VMs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are going to be running Ubuntu in vbox, I'd suggest at least doubling the ram, to give the Ubuntu instance a full 4GiB. As kow777, the price of ram is quite low at the moment, so it won't add much extra to the price.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have a 4GB machine and run VMs on it. In fact VMs are the only reason I went to 4GB.

I guess it depends on how hungry the VMs you're going to run are. Ubuntu itself is more than happy with 2GB, so you'll only need more than 4GB if you're going to need to run a VM that needs more than 2GB itself. Recent builds of Windows maybe?

If you're not VMing it up to the max or doing something like CAD then any more than 4GB is a waste of money IMO, even if it is cheap. It won't hurt to have it installed, but it won't actually do anything either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I have a 4GB machine and run VMs on it. In fact VMs are the only reason I went to 4GB.

I guess it depends on how hungry the VMs you're going to run are. Ubuntu itself is more than happy with 2GB, so you'll only need more than 4GB if you're going to need to run a VM that needs more than 2GB itself. Recent builds of Windows maybe?

If you're not VMing it up to the max or doing something like CAD then any more than 4GB is a waste of money IMO, even if it is cheap. It won't hurt to have it installed, but it won't actually do anything either.
    When I use Windows 7 in an VM, I never give it less than 1.5GB ram. Windows is getting pretty heavy these days.

Also, I didn't catch it before, but I would suggest an extra HDD. That 120GB SSD is going to go fast, as in run out of space. Or maybe another SSD to put the Ubuntu VM on to get the maximum speed.
    Last edited by kow777; October 30th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do people really use VM's that much? What would warrant using one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast