Thread: how capable is a ppc machine running ubuntu?

Beans

how capable is a ppc machine running ubuntu?

so i have a powerbook g4 that doesnt really get used anymore and i was wondering how capable it would be once i installed ubuntu. what i mean by this, is can i do about the same operations with the ppc machine running linux as i would with my intel machine running linux. as far as browsers and program support because as it is leopard is pretty much not supported anymore and the laptop itself still runs perfectly with exception of the battery

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: how capable is a ppc machine running ubuntu?

Lubuntu will run much faster than Ubuntu. You seem to be concerned about general capability and you will get much more with Lubuntu. It's still essentially Ubuntu but with a much lighter GUI and a lot less running by default.

Ubuntu can be slow on a G5. Lubuntu on the other hand is still very usable even on a G4 500 MHz.

12.10 is out now but there are still issues so I recommend you start with 12.04.

Download it here.

Also check the PowerPC FAQ and PowerPC Known Issues pages for more info on compatibility and issues.

For a step by step install guide I wrote one a couple weeks back specifically geared to PowerPC installs. You should check it out if you need help. You can read that here.
    Last edited by powerpcliberation; October 30th, 2012 at 03:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have installed Lubuntu 12.04 in a iBook G4 800 with 768 RAM and 30 GB hard drive. It's running ok. The only problem is flash videos, as in youtube.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1 for Lubuntu on PPC

It works well and you can always add in any programs you want on top of the defaults. If you can add RAM, it is always good to have more. About Flash, good riddance. Fortunately on Youtube, it's been moving up to HTML5 and is almost complete.

Beans

Well I have installed it before but I was just wondering if it will be as capable CPU wise as an Intel when running Linux in general, I understand the architecture is different. And will ppc chips even support HTML5 when it hits the surface?

The PowerBook is already pretty fast 1.5 GB of ram and a 1.67 GHz cpu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by boneskid1 View Post
    Well I have installed it before but I was just wondering if it will be as capable CPU wise as an Intel when running Linux in general, I understand the architecture is different. And will ppc chips even support HTML5 when it hits the surface?

The PowerBook is already pretty fast 1.5 GB of ram and a 1.67 GHz cpu
    The G4 7447 1.67 GHz in that machine would be about equal with a Pentium 4 2.0 - 2.4 GHz. I run Lubuntu on 3x G4 towers (1.8 GHz, 500MHz and 400 MHz) and even on the slowest one it's very usable.

In regard to flash.. friends don't let friends use it. There has been no flash development for any PowerPC OS in at least 2-3 years. In terms of YT it's better to use third party clients like MiniTube which don't rely on flash. I personally don't use flash even when on an OS it's still developed for. It's horrible technology in every possible way.

EDIT:

I forgot to comment on HTML5. I use it on Mac OS now and then but not so much that I have ever tried it on Linux. Lubuntu has Firefox 16.02 at the moment which supports HTML5.

PowerPC are very capable systems when used the right way. If you have the ability to figure out alternatives then you don't have to be a slave to inefficient crap that needs a modern computer for things a 10 year old system should be able to do.

Your computing experience on any hardware or software can only be as good as the skill and habits you bring with you.
    Last edited by powerpcliberation; October 31st, 2012 at 02:33 AM.

Beans

ok that helps me now i just need to figure out how to properly partition my current drive and install ubuntu or lubuntu

Beans

I installed and dual booted 12.04 Ubuntu and I need a few things before it is completely usable for me. Sleep Is sort of buggy when it wakes the screen generally stays black until I press a bunch of buttons. Also I have no sound but I read that I should check the alasmixer in terminal. And last but not least I don't know where my wireless card driver is. Last time I installed ubuntu it showed up after the 2nd or 3rd reboot. So u will continue to play with this tomorrow after work and see what I can do.

Also is it true that chromium and flash are for sure not supported?

After 2secs of research I found how to get the wireless driver again if it doesn't auto update
    Last edited by boneskid1; October 31st, 2012 at 05:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

updated info not needed after all
    Last edited by powerpcliberation; December 29th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.