Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

I actually had to use Unity for a little while some weeks ago, after replacing my 32-bit Xubuntu install for 64-bit Ubuntu, (Xubuntu's ISO doesn't come with WUBI, so I needed plain ol' Ubuntu until I installed XFCE again from the official PPA.) and I gotta say, I had it all figured out in 5 minutes tops. A bit quirky, but not impossible to learn.

I navigated it quite fluently, despite how much I hated it with every fiber of my being when Unity first made its rounds. I'd go so far as to say it's viable and eye-catching for the desktop whether you're using a mouse, tablet, or touchscreen. If you're looking for something different from what even Microsoft is offering in Windows 8, Unity's got it.

That's not to say I'm sticking with it, though. While it's way more intuitive, functional, and easier on the eyes than Gnome 3, I just don't feel it's customizable enough for my needs. Customization is one of the reasons why I love Linux so much, because I can tweak the desktop to be as lightning fast for computing as I can get with a mouse straight out of the box. I get that and so much more from XFCE.

So long story short, I don't feel much hate for Unity anymore, just a preference to something else for a more efficient and flexible computing experience. Might give it another serious trial once more options are available on the user's end. Gnome 3, however, I may gladly bash until Kingdom come, but that's a whole other can of worms for another topic. So how do you guys feel about Unity now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

I have the Launcher set for Autohide. The top panel set for transparent. And I now have wall to wall, top to bottom photographic wallpaper. I like the clean look and the wide, open space of the desktop. But then again I am not someone who likes to endlessly modify the desktop
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I have the Launcher set for Autohide. The top panel set for transparent. And I now have wall to wall, top to bottom photographic wallpaper. I like the clean look and the wide, open space of the desktop. But then again I am not someone who likes to endlessly modify the desktop
    i like the idea of having a dock with most used applications that also has a search feature built into it unfortunately i think gnome-shell handles it much better. for example i can disable the hot corner with an extension making it so that the dock only shows itself when i want it too. this and using the super key to bring up the search feature as well as putting a window list on the top and having the scale feature built into the activities button makes it a much better desktop imo.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    i like the idea of having a dock with most used applications that also has a search feature built into it unfortunately i think gnome-shell handles it much better. for example i can disable the hot corner with an extension making it so that the dock only shows itself when i want it too. this and using the super key to bring up the search feature as well as putting a window list on the top and having the scale feature built into the activities button makes it a much better desktop imo.
    +1

Beans

Smile Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Hi. Unity has always been usable to me. I setup the desktop a bit minimal and have recently installed the dockbarx bottom bar as well as the launcher set on autohide. It all just works. Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unity has been my favourite DE ever since I've used it. The launcher works (and autohides), and the dash is very useful. I like the notifications, the global menu, everything just looks great and works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It looks and feels great. The performance could be better, though.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I love it. I'm growing to like HUD (can be improved, seems I have to know a little about the menu structure of any given program to use it effectivly) I like the search driven dash (I don't have to search through menu's to find applications) I love the global menu, saves some vertical space on small displays. I love that I almost have zero panel space wasted with the global menu and a hidden launcher.

The largest con for me is it's a little chuggy on my netbook, I wish it could slim down a bit.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think unity is coming along quite nicely, its an excellent laptop interface.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I loved Unity from the beginning.
    Now,whenever I have to use a menu navigated DE,like XFCE,that I had to install on some low end hardware,I hate to have to search for apps with the mouse.
    Ubuntu 23.10

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast