Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Just for laughs, I did some digging and found out how to install Ubuntu to a flash drive, which I've now done with Kubuntu.

I cannot believe how fast KDE runs on my i7 MBP. It's always been a slow-ish DE on the other systems I've used it on, which arguably have been WAAAAAAAY behind the i7. But now that I have tried this out, I admit I'm thoroughly impressed.

Not that I'm trying to wish my life away, but I kind of wish it was several months from now already so I was done with everything else and ready to sell the MBP and buy a laptop with Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Im starting to like the little sucker =D

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    If you are using 12.04 you can get dodged windows back with ppa.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-t...-minimize.html

It is not a deal breaker for me, but I prefer having this function.
    That's something that annoyed me when i tried Unity on 12.10, why oh why, isn't the click to minimize like a real taskbar, directly implemented? (by not needing a patch to do it). On 12.10 yet, there isn't a patch.

It's not hate for the DE, one day i may be drawn more to it, than say, KDE; but its more- awkward for me to use it (Unity).
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

I have liked unity from the start, but I find it's much easier to get work done with a tiling window manager these days. Unity is my favorite non-tiling environment, however. I'll take it over lxde, xfce, kde, gnome-shell or openbox any day of the week. I has the best keyboard access of any of them.

I just wish there was a way to have the dash and the hud with a tiling window manager. Then, my life would be perfect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Christianson View Post
    I have liked unity from the start, but I find it's much easier to get work done with a tiling window manager these days. Unity is my favorite non-tiling environment, however. I'll take it over lxde, xfce, kde, gnome-shell or openbox any day of the week. I has the best keyboard access of any of them.

I just wish there was a way to have the dash and the hud with a tiling window manager. Then, my life would be perfect.
    I have to agree. The keyboard control in Unity is first class. I switched over from a tiler, xmonad, after roughly two years of using it. Unity does some simple tiling, at least with two windows (Ctl+Super+Right or Left) and between that and the multiple workspace support it works for me.

Beans

Unity is getting more mature every day. But the compiz.. eh.. not going anywhere. - I mean, I was always using KDE because of it's understanding of flexibility. While I can always make my own KDE based minimalistic look. But I'm not a supporter of "minimalism must be simple as hell" I believe that a clean look can be fully customizable. At least there should be more options for people like me. Until then, I'm going to stick with KDE.

Yet, this doesn't mean that Unity is a bad DE. Quite the opposite, It's getting better every release. The only thing I hate about it is Compiz.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, now I am getting really confused. After reading some more positive aspects in this thread I decided to give Unity one more chance. I soon ran into problems as I switched between Unity and Gnome for two reasons... first, I haven't got a clue what I'm doing and second, the logon screen is a little ambiguous as to the differences between gnome, gnome classic, et al.

Anyway, what I've ended up with is some sort of a hybrid where I have:
    ~ a unity launcher complete with Dash,
    ~ a top global panel that now (I could never get the top panel in gnome to do this) has transparency all the way across,
    ~ a bottom panel that shows what's running, and my 4 cube desktops,
    ~ and when I try and see exactly what DE is running I get:
    Code:
    myid@myid-OEM:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    gnome-classic
    This is exactly what I want but I'm not sure if I should be thankful or suspicious of impending doom when it all goes south and unity or gnome want to be top dog.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm curious whether all the keyboard junkies have tried out ratpoison. If all you care about is the keyboard, then that's really the best DE. I use Xfce because it fits best with my mouse-centric habits of any DE I've tried yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    I'm curious whether all the keyboard junkies have tried out ratpoison. If all you care about is the keyboard, then that's really the best DE. I use Xfce because it fits best with my mouse-centric habits of any DE I've tried yet.
    Glad Xfce is working out for you. As for ratpoison, I have tried it and used it for a couple months on two different occasions. It's a window manager, and a pretty good one, but it's not a desktop environment. Also, while it handles tiling beautifully, it doesn't respond too well with apps that are hostile to tiling and it's multiple workspace implementation is an added on hack that is less than stellar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post

Haven't tried ratpoision but I have given xmonad and awesomewm a go. I quite liked both of them.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast