Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

I left Ubuntu when Unity was first introduced because I kind of felt like a lot of my customization abilities were taken away. On top of that, on my old Toshiba Satellite the whole thing seemed to run really slow compared to earlier releases, even when I kicked it over to "Classic Gnome". I've been using Debian for the past few years with good results, and while initially I used the constant upgrades as an excuse for leaving Ubuntu, I'm thinking about coming back. I'm not particularly unhappy with Debian as far as stability goes, but there are a lot of little things about Ubuntu that just seem to make it a little more user friendly, and software updates seem to hit Ubuntu faster. I have an extra laptop I'm going to throw it on, and even after running Debian for so long, I've noticed that I really don't do that much desktop customization. I've added some shortcuts and applets to my top Gnome 2 panels, but that's about it. The next major release of Debian is going XFCE so I'm going to have to get used to not having those around anyway, so I figured give the latest Ubuntu another try.
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gerowen View Post
    I left Ubuntu when Unity was first introduced because I kind of felt like a lot of my customization abilities were taken away. On top of that, on my old Toshiba Satellite the whole thing seemed to run really slow compared to earlier releases, even when I kicked it over to "Classic Gnome". I've been using Debian for the past few years with good results, and while initially I used the constant upgrades as an excuse for leaving Ubuntu, I'm thinking about coming back. I'm not particularly unhappy with Debian as far as stability goes, but there are a lot of little things about Ubuntu that just seem to make it a little more user friendly, and software updates seem to hit Ubuntu faster. I have an extra laptop I'm going to throw it on, and even after running Debian for so long, I've noticed that I really don't do that much desktop customization. I've added some shortcuts and applets to my top Gnome 2 panels, but that's about it. The next major release of Debian is going XFCE so I'm going to have to get used to not having those around anyway, so I figured give the latest Ubuntu another try.
    all this talk of unity has made me want to give it a try again. too bad i just installed arch on an ssd so only have about 45gb for home so don't feel like dedicating space to another os. wonder how it would run on an intel atom with 2gb ram and ssd? tried compiling it via yaourt but gave up
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It'll run decently on netbook spec. That's what it was designed around, after all. I've only ever run it on an Atom with 2GB ram and an SSD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Its slow.. I prefer Cinnamon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    It'll run decently on netbook spec. That's what it was designed around, after all. I've only ever run it on an Atom with 2GB ram and an SSD.
    i'll have to give it a try eventually then. would using it off flash drive show halfway decent performance compared to installing it? like i said i don't have much disk space and can't see the point having multiple distros installed.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i don't care much for unity, but it does have its uses like small screens (netbook), compiz has gone down hill since 10.04, it only had one bug bother be (has workaround), which is fixed and now i have noticed what feels like dozens
    i like customizations and putting my applets where i want them
    using xubuntu+compiz
    wonder how long it will take for this thread to get locked (always seems to happen with win8 and unity threads)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gerowen View Post
    I've added some shortcuts and applets to my top Gnome 2 panels, but that's about it. The next major release of Debian is going XFCE so I'm going to have to get used to not having those around anyway, so I figured give the latest Ubuntu another try.
    Can you get that functionality out of MATE? If so why not use that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Wasn't a fan, still not a fan. To each his/her own.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
    Can you get that functionality out of MATE? If so why not use that?
    Is it usable? I've heard bad things about it like it's full of bugs and not nearly as stable as just regular Gnome 2 for some reason.
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That one feature alone, Unity, nearly pushed me back to using Windows; heresy I know, but that's how much of a retrograde step I feel Unity is.

99.99999% of my computer activity is either mouse based or it's entering text like I'm doing right now. Unity helps none of those activities and compels me to use the keyboard more than I previously did. That is not a productivity gain in my books. I also have some specific issues with Unity (although I will be the first to admit I'm not a Unity genius) viz:
    • I'm not sure which flavour of Unity I was running, but there were times I could not get rid of, or hide, the unity launcher... thus cluttering the desktop,
    • my bottom panel would disappear and I thus lost access to my desktop cube listing. This becomes a real problem when an application on another face of the cube is screeming for attention and I can't get to it. Sure, I know I can go to the 'switcher' on the Unity launcher but that triples the number of mouse actions to get to the appropriate cube face.

Today was the 4th time this year I have tried to come to grips with Unity and the 4th time my computer (and me) has been messed up. If Shuttleworth thinks this is the future of Ubuntu then I am super glad that today I downloaded Mint.

/psychotic rant
    Last edited by wildmanne39; November 17th, 2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Edited language

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast