Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasAdams View Post
    i am happy with all the apps that come with ubuntu.
    tried mint, didn't like it. all i can remember now is that i kept having problems with my cloud.

what is the big problem witb offering an alternative de?
    Like I said, don't ask us. We're not the Ubuntu developers. Most of us simply install a different desktop environment if we aren't happy with the default one. You have to understand that even if they did offer an alternative that was exactly what you want, there would be a bunch of other people who would complain that they want something different still.

I think the current system of offering one default desktop environment, but officially supporting no less than four others, is by far the most sensible approach.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    What's the big problem with simply installing one?
    i have already expalined why ...
    Ubuntu 12.04 x64 Kernel 3.2.0-30-gen GCC 4:4.6.3-1; AMD PHENOM2 X4 945 sAM3 95W; GByte GA-MA785GMTUD2H AMD785G SB710; Corsair TwinX 4GB DDR3 1333; 2x1.5TB Ssung HD154UI SATA; XCLIO 3060+; 500W STORM PSU
    Linux user 519546 Id 424242 Ubuntu user 31963

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

In a world of unconstrained resources, I suppose that Canonical could make our choices unlimited if they chose to. Maybe they could even make custom-order distros.

Unfortunately, with 500 or so employees making an OS that generates no revenue by itself, they don't have the resources.

It's as simple as that.

So others, like kubuntu.org and xubuntu.org, have Canonical's blessing to create their own offerings.

Again, their resources are limited.

It's as simple as that.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Xubuntu & Lubuntu are NOT the same as Ubuntu without the de. Those distros come with totally different apps. Apps that i don't like. I want the real apps, such as LibreOffice, that come as standard with Ubnutu. The ONLY thing i don't want is the de.

As for installing, say, Lubuntu then adding all the Ubuntu apps:
    1) it's a pain in the ...
    2) you end-up with two sets of apps, e.g. two file managers, and that causes problems.
    After i installed Ubuntu 13.04 i added the LDXE de. Now some programs seem to think that i'm not using Ubuntu; some report it as a "non-standard" system; a few even error. Great solution!

Why is everyone so frightened of offering a nice simple de, such as LXDE, as an alternative? Now that Ubuntu doesn't fit on a cd it can't be a space problem. Could it possibly be they know that most people would opt for the less flashy de?

Let me give you another reason. I help a few people who didn't do too well with formal education. Some find it very difficult to handle the Ubuntu menu. Some simply find it confusing. Yet none have any problems with the more "static" menus of LXDE or XFCE and icons for apps they use most often on their desktop. Surely no-one would suggest that they should be stuck with the "lesser" apps of L or X.

Realy, would a choice be such a bad thing?
    What choice is missing? Before Unity and Gnome shell there was no choice, we only had a bunch of DEs which all look alike (like Windows XP) now we have more choices finally (even though still people who prefer the old style have more than double the options than we do) and it is rich that people like you are complaining that Canonical removes your choice. There are always something that one doesn't like about the defaults (I swap out a lot of apps in default Ubuntu) , you can always mix and match to suit yourself.If you don't want to do that, then too bad, You can't expect Canonical to offer 10000 combinations for 10000 different tastes and preferences. You can always go the minimal install route and add whatever applications and components that you like if you are that picky.

I can't see what is the relevance of lack of formal education and alleged difficulties in using Unity, you don't need a Ph.D, believe me. Many people with little or no formal education (e.g kids) find it very easy to figure out how to use a smartphone or a tablet, which is even more unconventional and cryptic in terms of UI.

If you cannot live without a menu and still want Ubuntu here is a way
    http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-the...4-12-10-12-04/
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 15th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Confusion.

It's hard enough for people to figure out which arch to use(32bit or 64bit)
    let alone, which desktop to run.

And getting help can be rather taxing, since you have to also state the DE you're running.
    Unity, for it's faults, is the easiest DE to help people with, as the design is uniform across all users.
    I can give exact advice on what someone with problems should do with unity, as it is set up the same way.
    I can't say that about other layouts.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Confusion.

It's hard enough for people to figure out which arch to use(32bit or 64bit)
    let alone, which desktop to run.

That will be a no-brainer when Saucy is released, as 64-bit will be the default, and if you want to install a 32-bit version it will involve extra clicks, which is what many users don't seem to want to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

They do. There are packages in the repos that will install any of the DEs, either with or without the bundled apps.

For example:
    xubuntu-desktop = XFCE plus all the default Xubuntu apps
    xfce4 = just XFCE without all the extra apps.

It's not really the installer's job to provide every possible permutation of system setup that a user might want. However, the nice thing about desktop Linux is the modularity. Once you've installed a regular Ubuntu system with all the apps you want you could then switch to another DE. Or you could just install the version of Ubuntu that comes with that DE and install all your apps.

You can install multiple apps in one command if you use the command line. For example:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libreoffice nautilus gedit brasero
    Synaptic has a similar functionality in a GUI, it's well worth installing anyway. Really handy tool.

Once you came up with a setup you liked you can do all this with a script and do it all automatically any time you reinstall. Easy peasy!
    Last edited by Paqman; September 15th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Unity is definitely usable it's just that it isnt that goodlooking... i actually just prefer hiding it always and instead use a dock like cairo-dock or plank

Beans

Proud owner of a new desk top with one of the top of the line i7 4770, I was in a haste to put Ubuntu 12.04.3 on it.
    I said to myself: let's live with Unity until I fninished installing all my required software.
    Then I came to the VBox part. Oh, Oh, where is that option to add the extention pack ? So out Unity, in Gnome.

Beans

I like Unity on new machines, but it's a bit slow on older ones. I think the introduction of Unity made an impact on how many people use Ubuntu, but I have to be careful what I say regarding this as the moderators don't like to hear negative stories about Ubuntu users.

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast