Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

I had heard bad things about it from others, so was a little dubious. I installed 12.04 on a secondary partition just to try it, thinking that I would make Cinnamon Mint my main OS. But when I used it I was shocked at how good it is. There was only a small learning curve, and I was quickly more productive than ever before. I use a grid of 9 desktops, 3x3, and the way the switcher works is better for the things I have to do than any other system I have used. It is nearly as convenient as having 9 monitors. I loved the E16 pager, but this is better.

I like Dash better than menus now. For me it's faster. I don't use HUD much. The apps I use aren't very HUD friendly. But mousing up to the top bar is not a big deal. I don't need to use those menus very often anyway. The toolbars in the apps cover most things.

There's still room for improvement, but I have a great deal of confidence that things are going to improve even more. I think Mark and the developers did really well with this. This is my full time work environment now, and I am pretty happy with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Talking Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

I have used quite a few DEs, but MATE is the desktop I keep coming back to. It's not as buggy as the rep would have it, I can put quicklaunch buttons on the top panel, and it works better on my obsolete Acer 5516 laptop than the other DEs I have put on it, including KDE 4.9, and I *like* KDE 4.9.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

I honestly hated it to begin with. Installed 12.10 and now I am enjoying Ubuntu again and looking forward to the next release. It's a polished desktop.

I get the odd niggle, to be expected, but it's definitely a great improvement over 12.04.
    www.techheadz.co.uk
    Selection of tutorials and tips.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    The reason HUD isn't used much is because it is still in its infancy. Dash is quickly becoming what it is intended to be. Wait until you see the improvements in 13.04 even in its early development. Got to say I have the Raring Ringtail on two laptops and I am totally amazed. I have been involved in computers since MSDOS 2.something and I have never had anything as nice as 13.04. Things are getting exciting around here. Can't wait until the next evolution! Unity all the way from start to finish for me!
    rrnbtter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,
    The reason HUD isn't used much is because it is still in its infancy. Dash is quickly becoming what it is intended to be. Wait until you see the improvements in 13.04 even in its early development. Got to say I have the Raring Ringtail on two laptops and I am totally amazed. I have been involved in computers since MSDOS 2.something and I have never had anything as nice as 13.04. Things are getting exciting around here. Can't wait until the next evolution! Unity all the way from start to finish for me!
    rrnbtter
    "Upgraded" from Lucid (Gnome 2 desktop) to Precise a few eeks ago. Fed up with using the kryboard so much to navigate a highly unintuitive and user hostile Unity. It took me back to the days when I used Word Perfect - everything done on the keyboard and it was so SLLLOOOWWW, just like Unity!

Dash is a riot - displays all manner of apps I don't want. The docker thing - ever noticed how if you have a few files open (As I do) you can't see them and can't remember which ones you've got running so click on the relevant app launcher in the dock and it displays the last open file you used for that app - only it's not the one you want so you waste time clicking the app in the docker again only tyo be confronted by all the files you've got running under that app plastered all over the screen so small that you can;t recognise them and there's no title text to tell you the name of each file so you waste more time opening each one until you find the one you wanted? Nice - NOT!!

As foe HUD all mine ever said was that it was broken. Anyway, why would I want a floating bar to use the functions I use the most when editing a file when the same functions appear atthe top of my file I am editing?!!!

Downloaded GHnome shell extensions, went back tro Gnome 2 appearance - bliss now I can find any running file I want in 1 click. I can open any file on teh computer in 4 clicks.

Unity sucks - a pretty looking piece of low function eye candy for mobile devices for superficial light use. If your'e a productive user download teh Gnome shell extension or try Linux Mint with the Mate desktop and then yiou can start getting things done again instead of wastinmg time typing away and clicking away trawling through loads of useless apps before you find what you want!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

I have classic Gnome on this box and Unity on the other..I hate it less than I did. I do like just typing in what I want. I miss Close Window in the Ubuntu version of Fire Fox.
    Still,if Classic Gnome had a search window,for me it would be perfect..
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

I like unity, but prefer xfce or lxde. DE's don't matter a whole lot to me, as I only tend to do one thing at a time on my computer anyway. For a hard core multi-tasker it may be different, but as long as things are running smoothly I'm happy. It's not really that hard to get used to new de's once you spend some time with them.

But I never understood the "hate" when something new comes out. With windows/mac it may be different, but in linux, we have so many choices, that there is something out there for everyone. If you can't get along with something, it's easy to change and use what works for you. Constructive criticism is OK, but there's no need to bash things.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Noo 2 Ubuntoo View Post
    Unity sucks - a pretty looking piece of low function eye candy for mobile devices for superficial light use.
    Once those words come out, as far as I'm concerned, you lose all credibility. Saying you find it not to your liking is one thing, but outright bashing of OS's and software is not allowed here. It makes one come across as immature, and not ready to handle a real discussion.

No one expects you to love everything, but it could be handled in a better manner.

Beans

Unfortunately, Gnome/Unity is still ridiculously slow. KDE is better on so many levels and I actually like my desktop cube and wobbly windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, my initial reaction to Unity has remained the same.
    Unity itself however is way less buggy today than it was back when it got forced onto everyone.
    I still think its' buggy, and horrible to use in a few ways. But then again, the fact that its LESS bad now, than it was ages ago makes it durable at least.

Truth be told, I don't even know what to do
    I run Unity, KDE and ElementaryOS on different boxes, and they all have their "fun parts", but neither seems to have that extra bit which would make me want to stick with it forever.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast