Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Yeah, I get that, too. I've got myself lost in the customization stuff before, and I try not to change anything unless there's an immediate practical benefit, although there are still a ridiculous number of little tweaks I make for what seem to me mostly practical purposes.

For instance, I just found out how to make Caps Lock trigger the window spread in Unity, sort of as a counterpart to the Windows key for the Dash and Alt for the HUD, and I like the wm a bit more now. = ) (I just got a new desktop, and I'm using Shell there, but I've switched my old netbook to Unity, since Compiz performs better there and since it's not going to be my primary machine anymore, and I think I like having the option of messing with both. There's no question that they both have their perks.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    As long as there is KDE... NEVER! *starts DE flame war*

KDE's nice, true... But it's just not the best, lol!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I read on google+ that Linus Torvalds has just about given up on gnome. He was particularly annoyed that all the add ons he had that made GS usable were broken by the latest Fedora release. He is now giving KDE a serious try as his default desktop. I don't know if he has ever tried unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Version Dependency View Post
    Unity may very well be a good start for beginners. But as far as power users go, if you are a big keyboard user, then Unity is a dream come true. Hit SUPER and start typing a few letters and hit ENTER...program launched...hit SUPER+1-9 to quickly launch programs on the launcher...hit ALT and start typing to use the HUD menus (great in programs with lots of menus like Gimp and LibreOffice)...hit ALT+F2 and start typing to run commands.
    Keyboard shortcuts are an option in, like, every DE... And they're great if you happen to work that way... The HUD and Dash are original and interesting features, but just aren't enough to sell me on the Unity package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am one of those who liked Unity from the beginning. When I had a Mac I would put the dock on the left side of the display, so Unity was a natural fit. I leave it on and showing at all times.

I don't like the way the launcher deals with too many icons, so I limit my choices to my most frequently used apps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by divergex View Post
    I am one of those who liked Unity from the beginning. When I had a Mac I would put the dock on the left side of the display, so Unity was a natural fit. I leave it on and showing at all times.

I don't like the way the launcher deals with too many icons, so I limit my choices to my most frequently used apps.
    how big is your screen? i use a netbook with a 15" display. When the launcher uses 10% of the screen that is a problem. Especially when it pops up when you don't want it. I wouldn't mind it nearly as much if you could only have it pop up by clicking a corner or by hitting the super key. Honestly think that gnome shell would be pretty sweet on a laptop that is only used as a laptop since the way i use my laptop has me within quick reach of the super key at all times and there is zero wasted screen space
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unfortunately unity is not my stuff. I cannot move the launcher, it is slower and clunkier than gnome shell, I cannot make use of HUD, lens are annoying too. I never figured why Ubuntu did not just customize the gnome-shell technology.

Sometimes stories of adapting to Unity remind me the five stages of grief:
    "denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance".
    ...when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks back at you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

I did try Unity..Not for me..I hate keyboard short cuts..I like to point and click.Well,the nice thing about Linux is if something does not suite you, you can change it.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I still don't like Unity or the new desktop on Ubuntu... I switched to Xubuntu when I installed 12.04 LTS in April and I don't plan on moving to anything else until the next LTS version is released or I get a new laptop, which ever comes first.
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Icthyandr
    it is slower and clunkier than gnome shell
    Depends wholely on the graphics card in question. Unity is faster than Shell on my netbook (enough to make the difference between "reasonably" and "tolerably" useful.)

Awesome screen-name, by the way. = )

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast